Speaker break in question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker break in question

I just installed a Weber C1265 (50 oz. magnet) im my V-32. It really opened the amp up and I am digging the tone except it sounds a little "harsh" for lack of a better word.

After the speaker breaks in will it mellow and get a little warmer sounding? I love the way it tightened up the bass, I just hope it does mellow a little.

On another note, I installed the Celestion 70/80 in the Blues jr and the improvement was astounding. Very chimey with a muscular low end...a keeper for sure.
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Re: Speaker break in question

Hi BB--

With the few speakers I've bought new and broken in, they have mellowed with age. Usually a few months. Never bought a Weber, but with Celestions and Eminence I've found this to be true.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
      Hi BB--

With the few speakers I've bought new and broken in, they have mellowed with age. Usually a few months. Never bought a Weber, but with Celestions and Eminence I've found this to be true.
      Thanks Bro, its a copy of a Celestion G1265 with a larger magnet. I sent Bruce from Mission Amps a PM and he said it would mellow a bit, too. I'm feelin' a little better about the speaker now.

Comment

it should definitly mellow or at least be much less harsh

Comment

When weber reconed a JBL D130F for me, it was brittle and harsh when it arrived. I popped a music CD into the TV in my workshop and set it on continuous loop. Ran the headphone jack into the input of the amp. Ran the amp for a few days at moderate volumes duruing the day, low vol at night. It only took a few days and the harshness was gone. I don't think it's important to "push" the amp, just put a constant signal through it at moderate to low volume. Just keep that coil moving.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Bill...how did you have it doped?

Also, Bruce is dead on (as always!)...my Webers in my Mission super clone broke in real goot after about 35-45 hours of play and got smoother/more mellow and actually got a bit louder as well!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks Scott, I might give the stereo a try.

Christian, It looked like it was doped, although I don't know how heavy. I got the speaker from Bob Reinhardt at Reinhardt Amps, it is a special model he puts in his amps. Looks to be a heavy duty with that 50 ounce magnet. I noticed a drop in volume, maybe it is doped more than I thought.

Comment

Even light doping can look like a lot...give it about 35 or so hours and see what happens!

good luck!
                Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 04-28-2006, 06:36 PM.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                  EWven light doping can look like a lot...give it about 35 or so hours and see what happens!

good luck!
                  Thanks, I'll give an update after I burn it in for about 40 or so hours.

Comment

Working...
                  X