bad monkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad monkey?

I am thinking about buying this pedal and was woundering. How does it sound on a solid state amp? I play thru a cube 60 and was trying to get a better tube sound. how will it work with the other distortions already on the amp? Just a little monkey for tone with a little gain from the amp. any sugestions would be great. thanx
    the cube 60 is a bright amp trying to warm it up a little.

Re: bad monkey?

I've used a BM with a Vox Pathfinder 15R but that is a warm amp. It sounds good with the Vox. I also use it with a Fender Vibro Champ and SF Deluxe Reverb. Does well with those as well. It is a good little overdrive pedal.

Comment

I have one and play it a lot - I like it. I wouldn't use it with other distortions. I would only play it through a clean channel. Use the other distortions for different flavors - that's what I do.
      Rick
      (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
      Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Comment

I just bought one a few weeks ago, i tried it first with my vox pathfinder 15R practice amp it sounded really natural and not as midrangey as say a boss sd1 whcih I use aswell. There is alot of output for a clean boost and you can dial as much bass and treble as you want. Very responsive eq controls. I thought my boss sd1 was good but this thing is even better. Very good as a booster and with some gain through a clean amp and it was so cheap! Through a tube amp it only does better things for your tone.
        Last edited by Dills; 05-01-2006, 02:57 PM.
        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
        1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
        Blackstar HT-5
        2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I think its great, if you dont...well...at least its not a $250 boutique pedal I mean you cant even fill up your gas tank for $40 these days...

Comment

i have an old 160 watt peavey thats ss and i love this pedal through clean it sounds great! I also sometimes use it as a boost or i set my amp distortion a little lower and pop on the BM too and it gets really crunchy and hevy.. IMO
            -mike

Comment

I JUST got mine today and I'm trying it now.

It doesn't have as much boost as a SD1 I feel, to be honest. But it's WAY MORE TRANSPARENT!!!
              Furthermore it's VERY silent. I can push up the gain on it harder than on the SD1 when used with a highly distorted sound and it'll be dead silent.

It's been 2 minutes and I am HIGHLY impressed.

Ok I A/Bed the two. The SD1, with tone neutral, level all the way up and gain at 9 oclock has more boost than the BM with similar settings.
              The SD1 is more noisy and WAY LESS transparent.
              The BM also has a lot more of that tube sound-alike quality than the SD1. The boosted lead tones are really sweet. They can be a little cold with the SD1.
              Last edited by Pierre; 05-02-2006, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I really like this pedal and it is the only pedal I use. I agree it is very transparent, and just like the website says DOES NOT color your tone.
                Last edited by Jocelyn; 05-02-2006, 01:25 PM.
                sigpic
                Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                JFG Flying V,
                "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I own one. It adds some light dirt for cheap in a way that doesnt muck up your sound. It was probably the best $20 Ive spent on guitar stuff.
                  G&L Tribute S500
                  Fender MIM Stratocaster
                  VFE Fiery Red Horse, DS-1, Digitech Bad Monkey, VFE Blueprint, DD-3
                  Line6 POD X3L(for recording)
                  Yamaha G100 212 ii
                  Precision Electronics S100
                  Bugera 2x12

Comment

Working...
                  X