Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octave pedals - Damaging to speakers?

Hey guys.

I've just received 2 pedals in exchange for an old pedalboard, and 1 of the pedals is an Octave pedal which adds notes 1 and 2 octaves below the original note.

I just wondered if these kinds of pedals can cause damage to guitar amps or blow speakers etc?

I'd probably only use the pedal on occasion to double parts of guitar solos etc, but thought it was worth checking out before I started using the pedal in my main rig

Thanx for any replies.

Craig

Re: Octave pedals - Damaging to speakers?

depends on the speaker in question...I all but refuse to leave hiome without my old Boss Octave box and I use it all the time...thast said I woulnd't do it with a Fender Champ.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanx for the very quick reply

My main amp at the monent is my Orange AD30 head with either a 1970s Orange 4x12 cab with 2 25w Greenbacks and 2 25w McKenzies or a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab with 2 75w Celestions.

Could you see my having a problem with using the Octave epdal with either of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
        Thanx for the very quick reply

My main amp at the monent is my Orange AD30 head with either a 1970s Orange 4x12 cab with 2 25w Greenbacks and 2 25w McKenzies or a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab with 2 75w Celestions.

Could you see my having a problem with using the Octave epdal with either of these?
        Maybe with the 4x12 but maybe not...just give it a shot and see how it acts...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

It wont hurt your speakers.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

nah, it won't hurt em a bit ... the only thing you'll want to be sure of is that you are not running the power amp totally wide open for long periods of time because bass frequencies really take alot of power to reproduce ... if it gets to clipping, that is manifest as a DC signal and prolonged exposure to that will fry a speaker .. but that can happen without a 8ve pedal

t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Thanx for the posts guys.

It's unlikely I'll be using much (if any) of the 2 octave down pitch from the pedal, and I'll only be mixing the 1 octave down pitch in with the original at about 50%, so I should be ok.

I thought it was worth checking out 1st though

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X