No announcement yet.

Crate amps?? any good for solid state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crate amps?? any good for solid state?

the new Crate Flexwave stuff blows Marshall out of the water if you ask me.
    they give pretty great tone for a SS amp.

go check one out and see.

i have tried the Marshall MG series and the newer AVT series and they suck compared to the Crates.
    if you want a good SS MArshall get an old 80's one used from Ebay or something. those are good when pushed with a pedal. But the newer series sucks.
    The old 80's ones sound kinda like a JCM800. real good SS amps.
    Ibanez Roadstar II
    EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
    VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Yes, i agree. The cheaper end of crate certainly blows the cheaper marshalls away. I played a marshall mg100 half stack with my gt6 then again with the crate head and the crate won hands down. Much more crisp amp and sounded a whole lot better than the marshall which sounded like the bees.

Higher end stuff? hmm. Ive yet to compare but i bet its close!
      PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
      DAW: Nuendo
      Noise: 5150
      Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

interesting. i do like crate solidstate-sound a lot.
        i own a powerblock(which i use for guitar and bass, a friend of mine has
        a112 combo)

i really disklike marshall solidstate amps. even the hybrid ones
        sound strange thin and powerless to me.
        ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

Peavey all the way, especially the older ones.
          Originally posted by B2D
          Congratulations. You've just run upon the guitar equivalent of wiping your ass with sandpaper only once a week.

99 MIJ Jackson Performer PS4 (LW Classic/Metal)
          ?? MIK Ibanez RG320DX
          04 MIM Fender Strat
          97 Peavey 5150 w/matching cab
          91 Peavey Bravo
          Boss NS2
          Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
          Digitech GNX1
          --FOR SALE--
          06 Peavey Valveking 112

Comment

i agree about either crate or pv over marshall ss... those mini stacks just give me a laugh
            -mike

Comment

Originally posted by openj
              get one of these things ... they trip me out

A local guitar shop had one of those around November, and they put a sign on it that said:

"The Perfect Xmas Gift for the Hobbit In Your Life!"

Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Get a Tech 21 trademark 60. They're descent.

Crate on the other hand, well I usually don't buy from guitar stores that put them on the same side of the store as fenders. So yea...

And non-tube marshalls sound like a swarm of bees.

You can't really expect GREAT tone from a solid state, tho some of the randalls don't sound horrible and the tech 21s sound rather good to me.
                Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Please, no marshall MG series.

I just played through my friend's MG30 - clean was okay, dist. was AWFUL. Just plain bad. It was quite unbelievable that they put the "Marshall" name on that piece of ****..

And that mini stack would be worse - believe me. I've heard them.

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot about Tech 21!

I strongly suggest trying out Randall, Tech 21 and Vox amps, among others like Peavey (newer Peavey solid state amps are unimpressive to me but try one nevertheless).

Be aware that with Vox you are usually looking at digital modelling amps (which I tend to stay away from). The Tech 21 amps are really good solution if you are looking for several diff. sounds and yet don't want to go too complicated and/or lose the analog tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ModestCargo
                      Oh, I almost forgot about Tech 21!

I strongly suggest trying out Randall, Tech 21 and Vox amps, among others like Peavey (newer Peavey solid state amps are unimpressive to me but try one nevertheless).

Be aware that with Vox you are usually looking at digital modelling amps (which I tend to stay away from). The Tech 21 amps are really good solution if you are looking for several diff. sounds and yet don't want to go too complicated and/or lose the analog tone.
                      I have a Tech 21 Trademark 10 and it is a *great* sounding SS practice amp.
                      Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Also, any Crate amp focuses on letting you be you- giving most players the opporatunity to input their own creative signature. They even give you options on the amp's cosmetics. You want a vintage look with modern sound? VTX or RFX (the black and gold without retroflex preamp). You want modern sound with very modern cosmetics? GLX or GTX.

XT's, GT's, or the innovative PowerBlock- Crate will ensure what you put in, you get back... with only the necessary in 'frills'.

They've been at improving solid-state since, at least, 1980- being the first to put their patented tube emulating tech out there and their current evolution of this tech can be found in their new much praised, PowerBlock- featuring the Flexwave Evoluton '6' preamp.

To me, Crate does solid-state (*checks thread topic*) the best.

Comment

As far as the GT/XT series, you either hate the sound or you love it...there's really no real 'it's okay' group as far as those are concerned.

Not really the greatest stuff on earth (I'd only get the 65 watt one ore above because below that they only have the sucky distortion, the 65 and above have the crappy one and an awesome one, lol) but it's cheap and works fine, I guess. That being said, my MD-2 sounded great through my XT15R, lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X