banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you coax a Vai tone out of a 5150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could you coax a Vai tone out of a 5150?

I wish i could find a 5150 to snag on UK ebay :******:
    PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
    DAW: Nuendo
    Noise: 5150
    Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

I have a legacy half stack and it's very easy to get vai'ish tones with just the guitar plugged straight in.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev
        I wish I was in the UK to sell you my 5150 .

Comment

Originally posted by taphappy
          I wish I was in the UK to sell you my 5150 .
          you've got one for sale dude?
          PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
          DAW: Nuendo
          Noise: 5150
          Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

Originally posted by chopstherocker
            Vai's tone is in his fingers. My other guitarist has a Legacy half stack. Sounds nothing like Vai.
            While I agree that a large part of his tone is in his fingers, the basic tone is all in that Legacy. I'm pretty sure that if I plugged an Ibanez RG or a similar guitar with DiMarzio pickups into a Legacy half-stack and played with the settings a bit I could easily find a Vai-like tone in there. Perhaps not a perfect Vai but close.
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

The 5150 is kind of a strange beast, tonewise and it's not one that I feel you could easily get Vai's sound with. Better to go with something more Marshally and richer sounding.

Comment

I'm with B2D

everything about Vai says Marshall, Egnater, and Bogner. I don't think the ADA MP1 quite gets his tone.

His tone is pretty open for a high gain sound, and it is very rich. The 5150 never sound that open to me, nor does it sound rich. I have heard some great people sound great thru the 5150, and I give the amp its respect, but my vote is kinda NO.

People and this "it's all in his fingers" junk... just answer the question...dang!

We figured out the whole everything from fingers, to blood type, to barometric pressure, zodiac signs, and speaker cables matters - but can you kinda answer the actual question? I'd love to see you guys on Standardized tests - "uhhh the answer is F: I don't believe there is an answer so I will just BS"
                1973 Les Paul Standard
                1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
                  I'm with B2D

everything about Vai says Marshall, Egnater, and Bogner. I don't think the ADA MP1 quite gets his tone.

His tone is pretty open for a high gain sound, and it is very rich. The 5150 never sound that open to me, nor does it sound rich. I have heard some great people sound great thru the 5150, and I give the amp its respect, but my vote is kinda NO.

People and this "it's all in his fingers" junk... just answer the question...dang!

We figured out the whole everything from fingers, to blood type, to barometric pressure, zodiac signs, and speaker cables matters - but can you kinda answer the actual question? I'd love to see you guys on Standardized tests - "uhhh the answer is F: I don't believe there is an answer so I will just BS"
                  Bingo...

IMO Vai got his best "basic" tones on Alien Love Secrets and that tone is unmistakably Bogner Ecstacy. Big, open, dynamic, rich, and overall very organic-sounding.

As for the whole (tone in the fingers) thing, I believe it's an even 50/50 split.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev
                    There is one on there at the moment. Just came on today i think. However, it has already got up to £470, so its probably going to go for not far short of the GAK price of £675.
                    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                    X