the Fender Twin 57 Reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Fender Twin 57 Reissue

Any comments on this amp? How is the quality of the construction and components? How is the clean sound? How does it take to overdrive pedals? Is it too loud for small gigs (50 people)? Any thing you dislike about the amp?

Thank you.
    Heritage H-157 SLn/59b
    Victoria Victorilux 3X10
    Klon Centaur OD pedal
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb combo Series I
    TS 808 pedal
    Lowden O32

Re: the Fender Twin 57 Reissue

i personally, really don't like this amp. To my ears it sounds way too unfocused & flabby, but i've heard they sound good with single coils so i'm not sure about that

in either case, i think the '59 ri bassman is better in... well every way. But keep in mind that both amps are gonna start to drive at about 4-5, the cleans on the bassman are immaculate though

I wouldn't say either would be too loud, my guitar teacher uses a '62 vibrolux, cranked, for about 50 people & it's perfect
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
      i personally, really don't like this amp. To my ears it sounds way too unfocused & flabby, but i've heard they sound good with single coils so i'm not sure about that

in either case, i think the '59 ri bassman is better in... well every way. But keep in mind that both amps are gonna start to drive at about 4-5, the cleans on the bassman are immaculate though

I wouldn't say either would be too loud, my guitar teacher uses a '62 vibrolux, cranked, for about 50 people & it's perfect
      Good point about single coils. I'm a humbucker guy, so this amp may not be a match. I would probably use the less gain preamp tubes to deal with the humbuckers. I have just picked up a used Blues Jr. Reissue and retubed it with a 5751 in the v1 slot. It it really sounds nice. I was wondering if the Twin would sound even nicer - you stop searching for that perfect tone...
      Heritage H-157 SLn/59b
      Victoria Victorilux 3X10
      Klon Centaur OD pedal
      TS 808 pedal
      Lowden O32

Comment

just go out & try a bunch of amps

i highly reccomend the bassman & deluxe reverb though, they're probably my 2 favorite current production fender amps

Comment

Screw the Fenders, play a Victoria. I personally think the Fender 57 Twin is a great amp though, even though its not that historically accurate (has 4 12AX7s apposed to the 1 12AX7 and the 3 12AY7s). Victorias are tweed clones and are supposed to be extremely historically accurate and have the best tones. The reissue bassman has like no life to it, especially the overdrive stuff. The Twin has a cleaner sound and is more crunchier than the Bassman. Im savin up for a Victoria at the moment and will probably go with the 50 watt Twin-Amp version, either that or the Bassman, Im not sure. Check them out, tweed amps are my favorite.
          - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
          - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
          - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
          - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
          - Tungsten Buckwheat
          - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
          - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
          - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

My Twin has NOS 12ay's in it and compared to the Bassman, it ain't even close. The Twin is light years ahead and may actually sound better with buckers although my tele sure sounds sweet through it. By te way, I got mine with the upgraded tubes used for $1500. Try that with any higher powered Victoria. As for clean,s it ain't a Twin Reverb or CS Dual Pro, but it does them pretty well, especially with the Tele and the bridge pickup on the '54 LP Custom.
            '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
            '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
            '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
            '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
            '01 Firebird V
            '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
            '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
            '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
            '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
            '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
            '04 Martin HD28V
            '66 Vibrolux Reverb
            Fender CS '57 Twin RI
            Marshall 1987x RI
            Soultone 18w
            Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny47
              Screw the Fenders, play a Victoria. I personally think the Fender 57 Twin is a great amp though, even though its not that historically accurate (has 4 12AX7s apposed to the 1 12AX7 and the 3 12AY7s). Victorias are tweed clones and are supposed to be extremely historically accurate and have the best tones. The reissue bassman has like no life to it, especially the overdrive stuff. The Twin has a cleaner sound and is more crunchier than the Bassman. Im savin up for a Victoria at the moment and will probably go with the 50 watt Twin-Amp version, either that or the Bassman, Im not sure. Check them out, tweed amps are my favorite.

the bassman has tons of life to it

just cuz it's not historically acurate & not point to point wired doesn't mean it's a bad amp, i think for the price it's hard to beat, if you're looking for something like that. If fender wanted to make them 100% hystorically acurate they could have, but they changed them so the're more...modern classic tones, more for today's players, and while i think the original design of the bassman was kickass and i would love to have one, i'd take the RI just because it's more versatile & i don't feel like dropping over $1000 on an amp. Victorias can get so expensive that you may as well just buy the original

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny47
                Thanks Gunny47 for the Victoria Amp insight. I'm definitly going to check these guys out. It sounds like just what I'm looking for, that wonder Fender Tweed sound but built with quality components (versus today's Fender quality).

Does anyone have any comments on Victoria Amps?
                Heritage H-157 SLn/59b
                Victoria Victorilux 3X10
                Klon Centaur OD pedal
                TS 808 pedal
                Lowden O32

Comment

I think the cleans on the reissue bassman are not that bad, but the overdrive is kinda farty IMO. They are not really more versitile because they are the same controls and stuff as their original and Victoria counterparts, but they are cheaper and Ill agree with you on that. A good budget "pedal amp."
                  - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                  - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                  - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                  - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                  - Tungsten Buckwheat
                  - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                  - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                  - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

doesn't sound farty to me, sounds tough as nails

and depending on which model of the RI you're talking about, well, some were MORE versatile, like the ones with the optional SS rectifier & brit inputs. Bridge the channels on one of them & it's SO nice

Comment

and as for quality parts on the Twin, i hope Mercury Magnetics trannies are quality parts......I just bought one for my Marshall Yes, the twin has MM trannies......and Weber/Emminence alnico speakers. This amp was an all out counterattack on the clonesters.
                      '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
                      '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
                      '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
                      '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
                      '01 Firebird V
                      '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
                      '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
                      '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                      '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                      '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
                      '04 Martin HD28V
                      '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                      Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                      Marshall 1987x RI
                      Soultone 18w
                      Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

I salute Fender for bringing back the Twin. Good move for them.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by jdm61
                          and as for quality parts on the Twin, i hope Mercury Magnetics trannies are quality parts......I just bought one for my Marshall Yes, the twin has MM trannies......and Weber/Emminence alnico speakers. This amp was an all out counterattack on the clonesters.
                          the general consensus is that mm is the best out there & current production marshall transformers are the worst in their price range

Comment

Clapton played thru 4 of these at the Cream Reunion show I saw. His tone was great, but then again he could play thru a Gorilla and make it sound good!
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                            X