Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: played the supersonic today

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
    i played 2 heads, the black one through a mesa 2x12, and the blonde one through the matching 2x12. Blonde sounded better, and looked setzer as ****, kickback cab & all
    Guy I know has an old 61 blond Fender Bassman with matching cab...that thing is so rockabilly that it makes me sick! I wish I could get it from him, but he's not inclined to sell it at all
    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

you see em on ebay from time to time

if you really want one i'd check there every few days
      Originally posted by gibson175
      metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

OK OK maybe I will give this thing another listen.

I am looking for a nice small, portable clean combo.

I can't say I like the price.
        1973 Les Paul Standard
        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

yeah this aint your amp then

this is a rocker for sure

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
            GEARJONESER do you like the SUPER more than older Fenders such as real Bassman amps?
            The thing with most Vintage style amps is that they have a better fundamental sound, but that's all they do, so you need to find the right OD pedal. Since they're non mastervolume, they're always very loud and clean.

After playing vintage styled amps with modern features, I start to enjoy having the versatility.......that's what happened when I bought the Pro Tube Series Concert Reverb. The Bassman LTD has a slightly better overall clean tone, but the Concert was loaded with features, making it a funner amp to actually use.

On this Supersonic, in a band context, you'd want to approach it like a vintage amp by turning the volume high, and slowly bringing up the gains. Unlike a vintage amp, you can use it in your bedroom by running the gains higher and the master lower. If I were using this as a 'home amp' I'd rather have the Supersonic. If I were playing a blues festival, I'd rather have a cranked up Bassman LTD with good OD pedal.......but who knows, maybe the Supersonic head/2-12 combo would be better? I know I always liked my Concert Reverb, and it's basically the same exact amp.

As far as Fender gain, the Pro Tube Series amps have the best gain channels of any Fender. I absolutely hated the sound of Tonemasters, and the Prosonic was just OK. All I can say about the Tonemaster is that it was the worst amp I've ever heard Richie Sambora use........as soon as he went back to Marshall, his tone was good again.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Olin, roll the treble all the way down and turn the gain knobs pretty high up. Tweak the mids and bass to taste, and you can get into the Mark area with the Super Sonic.

BTW, I like this amp quite a bit, though the Vibrolux channel sucked ass IMHO. Give me the Bassman channel, the Burn mode, and knock $200 off the price tag and I'm sold on the head.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

i love the 'lux channel

it's a twangy mother****er, real bright & shimmery

Comment

I dunno..

One man's bright an shimmery is another's thin and anemic.

Maybe I'm just used to my BF Bassman, which, BTW, the SuperSonic totally cops.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                    I had some errands to run today, so I stopped in at a couple music stores, and finally got to play the 1-12 Supersonic in black/gray.

It's pretty much exactly what I thought it'd be, which is a very versatile Fender combo with a better gain channel than almost any other Fender. I really like the dual gain knobs on the OD channel, since you can dial them in unison to pinpoint a certain tone. I'd probably opt for the head version, since I like head/2-12 setups more. However, the combo seems to be a great amp to own as your home amp or a lightweight full featured combo to take to clubs. At $1100 it's not cheap, but it's not overpriced either.
                    This is pretty much my take on it after playing a 112 combo last Sunday. It's a nice Fender clean tone, with the best OD I've ever heard out of a Fender tube amp. I didn't mess with it much, but it seemed easy enough to dial in.

That said, I'm not going to trade in any of my Mesa amps anytime soon.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                    X