Necessary Wattage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessary Wattage?

For home use, recording, jamming, miced shows, and maybe even non-miced shows, is a tube amp with 100 watts and 2 12s, that also switches to 25 watts, necessary? Or will a 50 watt, with a 12.5 watt option, amp driving one 12" due just fine?

Re: Necessary Wattage?

unless you're playin real big venues, and depending on your style, the 50 watt will tend to be enough.

If you're playin metal or hard rock, having that extra speaker can really help for those un-miced shows.

Comment

I would say 50 watts of tube amp is plenty for pretty much any occasion, unless you need a lot of clean headroom.

Regarding speakers, I go for a minimum of 2x12 if not mic'd. You just get a better spread and bigger sound that way. A 1x12 cranked can sound a bit boxy - though a lot depends on the dimensions and quality of the cab.

Comment

If you need clean at loud volumes then a 100 watt. But if you prefer your stuff slightly distorted it would actualy be better to get a 500 watt. I still suggest getting a 2x12" at least though.
        Originally posted by BeanDip
        No one that I know of has tested the tonal properties of pecan, so I figured why the hell not?

^^^I don't feel so safe

My Stuff-

Hofner 1960 V3
        Belman double cutaway Grand
        Peavey classic 30 (with wheels)

Comment

Originally posted by Pecan
          it would actualy be better to get a 500 watt.
          500 watt???

Yeah baby, crank that sucker!

Comment

Originally posted by Televators
            For home use, recording, jamming, miced shows, ...... will a 50 watt, with a 12.5 watt option, amp driving one 12" due just fine?
            Generally speaking, Yes, it may even be a bit too powerful depending on exact setting. But that´s what Master Volumes and attenuators are for

...and maybe even non-miced shows, is a tube amp with 100 watts and 2 12s, that also switches to 25 watts, necessary?
            This depends entirely on the particular show.... for an ummiced open air of more than 3-400 people you´re probably going to wish you had that 2x12 and the 100 watter, if nothing else for the extra clean headroom.
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Ohhh sorry. Typo above, its meant to be 50 watt*
              Originally posted by BeanDip
              No one that I know of has tested the tonal properties of pecan, so I figured why the hell not?

^^^I don't feel so safe

My Stuff-

Hofner 1960 V3
              Belman double cutaway Grand
              Peavey classic 30 (with wheels)

Comment

I've never gotten my 22 watter past 5, at any live show(but usually mic it up). Any more wattage would be a waste for me

Comment

Yep, for clean headroom at loud volumes, ~100w really is needed. For most applications, I think a 50w will cut it. For micing at venues and loud practices, I think 30w is about right.
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

50 watts is generally enough...taking the clean headroom statements above into account as the only usual need for 100w. Miked 30-50 watts is enough.
                    My Sound Clips

Comment

These days it's not necessary to get anything in the 100+ watts range unless (a) you're playing large arenas or (b) you need lots of clean headroom at loud -- and I mean LOUD -- volumes.

Fifty-watt amps are very loud, as are amps that are a mere 30 watts. Any good club or other venue (and even most of the bad ones) will have some kind of PA system available, allowing you to mic your amp. The 50-watter with the 12.5-watt option you mentioned is probably the better of the two for your needs.

I think I wrote this in a recent thread, but it bears repeating: An amp with one tenth the wattage only reduces the volume by half. Amps in the 15- to 20-watt range are still pretty loud, and they can give you natural power tube saturation and speaker breakup at more tolerable volume levels than high-wattage amps.
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

*hmpf* 100w ? 500w ??
                        if you'd say for jammin and miced use ... i'd go for sth between 15 and 30
                        watts. ;-)
                        ofcourse it depends on your style of music and crazyness of the drummer
                        ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

For recording, I use my little 7 watt amp . . . and even then, I have to make sure that nobody in the house is trying to sleep. I doubt you'ld need/want anything louder than that if you're trying for natural tube overdrive whie recording.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Amt of speakers is important too - my 22 watter 1X12 sounds even louder through a 4X12

Comment

Originally posted by larry_emder
                              Amt of speakers is important too - my 22 watter 1X12 sounds even louder through a 4X12
                              +1 to that! It's great to have a low-wattage amp that has an external speaker jack. This is definitely something to look for.
                              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Working...
                              X