Pre-amp tube question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-amp tube question.

I would like some recommendations on a high-gain, tube good for metal(Black/ Death).I like either warm or crisp as long as it has ball-smashing crunch. I't will be going in a JSX w/ Ruby EL34's. Also, could anybody recommend a good set of 6L6's and a pre-tube for these. Any responses appreciated.
    P.S. I've read a few threads here but still undecided.

Re: Pre-amp tube question.

The chinese 12ax7Cs and sovtek lps 12ax7s work pretty good for high gain. For me the chinese tubes gave more of a warmer tone. The sovtek lps tubes had more of a tighter crunch sound in my amp.
    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
    Fender Frontman 15g
    Cry Baby
    Boss DS-2
    Boss CE-3
    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

JJ high gain tube. eurotubes.com

Comment

Another vote for the JJs.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

www.revolutionguitar.com I recommend JJ power tubes, but if you want tight focused gain, JJ ECC83's seem too clean to me. Groove Tube 12AX7C's and JJ or Svetlana 6L6's get my vote. If you want cheap 12AX7C's that aren't labeled by GT, search ebay for 'shuguang chinese 12AX7'. Sometimes, they're only $5 a piece. edit....I found them for you..

If you decide to go with all JJ's, the new ECC803S is the highgain pre tube. You really only need to buy 1 for the 1st position.
          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-04-2006, 04:22 PM.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Highgain graded JJ ECC83s will add warmth... they're also tight sounding, specially when cranked and driven hard.
            www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Originally posted by Danglin' Fury
              I would like some recommendations on a high-gain, tube good for metal(Black/ Death).I like either warm or crisp as long as it has ball-smashing crunch. I't will be going in a JSX w/ Ruby EL34's. Also, could anybody recommend a good set of 6L6's and a pre-tube for these. Any responses appreciated.
              The JJ's are pretty slammin. I went through a whole bevy of preamp tubes recently (EH Gold pin, even NOS JAN GE) and the JJ's tubes came out on top in the end.

I will say this, however: Those Ruby EL34's are not good. You'll probably get better and more significant results from changing your power tubes to JJ's or SED EL34s.
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

The Chinese 12AX7 are a great choice, thight and ballsy at high gain. Just recieved some together with a TAD 7025 highgrade that is actually similar in tone to those just a tad better built quality FWIW... although those Chinese ones are great by themselves.

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

+1 for the C9
                  RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                  TS 7 (modded)
                  Hot Rod 50+ XL
                  Framus Dragon 4x12
                  V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
                  X