DIY Pedal Enclosures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Pedal Enclosures

What kind of enclosures do you (the ones that build your own pedals) use? I've heard people say Hammond makes good metal enclosures, but what size/quality/price are yours?
    '90 Gibson Les Paul Studio, '96 Jackson DR2, '98 MIM Fender Strat, '05 Ibanez RG7321, '07 Squier 51, '04 ESP LTD B-105

Re: DIY Pedal Enclosures

It depends on the build? Small Bear has a good selection of enclosures ,And he gives the dimensions.So you have to figure out yourself what's the best fit. They usually run from $8 to $15+.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I buy a big sheet of 22gauge sheet metal and make my own. Wayyyyy cheaper. Not quite as sturdy as those Hammonds though. Then again.. those hammond enclosures could survive the atomic bomb. If you're going to buy enclosures, I'd definately go with hammond. They're a great product, just a little overpriced in my opinion.

Comment

I buy the Taiwanese Hammond copies from Steve at Small Bear....These boxes are sturdy and would outlast most of us!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Also, take a look at Pedal Parts Plus. Kirk uses the Taiwanese cast aluminum enclosures as well, but what he does with paint is nothing short of art! I've bought two of his painted boxes so far, and I'm about to standardize my entire Pedalboard Junction line with his work. Cuts the price of a genuine Hammond down by almost half, and with the finish included.
          Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

thanks, i like those painted boxes at pedalpartsplus...
            '90 Gibson Les Paul Studio, '96 Jackson DR2, '98 MIM Fender Strat, '05 Ibanez RG7321, '07 Squier 51, '04 ESP LTD B-105

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
              I buy the Taiwanese Hammond copies from Steve at Small Bear....These boxes are sturdy and would outlast most of us!
              Exactly what I use too. I've picked up a couple Hammonds from Fry's Electronics, 1590A, 1590B and a 1590BB as well. I like the Taiwanese Hammond copies better though because they're a little deeper. It can be a PITA squeezing a circuit in to a 1590B (same size as MXR boxes like the Phase 90, Dist+, Wylde OD).

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                Exactly what I use too. I've picked up a couple Hammonds from Fry's Electronics, 1590A, 1590B and a 1590BB as well. I like the Taiwanese Hammond copies better though because they're a little deeper. It can be a PITA squeezing a circuit in to a 1590B (same size as MXR boxes like the Phase 90, Dist+, Wylde OD).
                I normally use the 1590 BB so I have that extra room...
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I normally use the 1590 BB so I have that extra room...
                  For bigger circuits most definitely. My one-knob thumbnail size booster builds are perfect for the Taiwanese Hammond copies. I've yet to even use the 1590BB I have although I do have a project planned for it. Just haven't had time to build it.

Comment

For bigger circuits most definitely. My one-knob thumbnail size booster builds are perfect for the Taiwanese Hammond copies. I've yet to even use the 1590BB I have although I do have a project planned for it. Just haven't had time to build it.
                    I built a whole bunch of pedals awhile back and now it all came to a screeching halt! Busy doing other stuff basically.

Comment

I built a whole bunch of pedals awhile back and now it all came to a screeching halt! Busy doing other stuff basically.
                      Yeah, me too. I pretty much have to deal with what I have for a while. No problem really. I've got parts I can mess with until I can order more.

Comment

Yeah, me too. I pretty much have to deal with what I have for a while. No problem really. I've got parts I can mess with until I can order more.
                        Erik....I'd really like to build a nice sounding Dallas Range Master type booster pedal...Just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Comment

Erik....I'd really like to build a nice sounding Dallas Range Master type booster pedal...Just haven't gotten around to it yet...
                          That is a must build. You won't be sorry. I made mine in an evening. Great circuit. The only problem I ran in to with it is RF interference. Tried the usual solutions of caps/shielded wire. It's better than it was but still there. More so at my brother-in-law's where we practice. A few pedals pick up RF there though, not just the Rangemaster. It's the area.

Comment

Slightly expensive way to solve RF problems in pedals: Use a groundplane. I've had a few PCB's fabricated with ground planes in them. About $40-50 with my engineering student discount

Comment

Originally posted by nahfuten
                              Slightly expensive way to solve RF problems in pedals: Use a groundplane. I've had a few PCB's fabricated with ground planes in them. About $40-50 with my engineering student discount
                              I perf all my stuff so that's not an option. There is a common ground plane across one side though. All ground points are tied together.

Comment

Working...
                              X