Tubes - 6021 vs 6021W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes - 6021 vs 6021W

Any of you tube geeks know if there is a difference between the 6021 and the 6021W ? What does that "W" stand for anyhoot ?

Re: Tubes - 6021 vs 6021W

what amp are you planning on using a 6021 tube in? it's an 8 pin tube that is subminiture used mostly in Military applications. It's not used in any guitar amps that I can find- the european desgination is Ecc70, and also NJ7P, it only has a gain factor of about 30
    Last edited by marvar; 05-09-2006, 08:40 PM.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I've got an SFX-03 arriving later today. I wheel & deal on Ebay and I went ahead and nabbed several NOS Sylvania 6021 tubes that I ran across at a great price. They have the leads for soldering into place. I like to have backup parts for my gear, especially hard to find tubes such as for my antique Ampeg Gemini VI. But I have seen a lot of articles referring to the 6021W as used in the ZVex Nano. I'm wondering if it just means "wire" leads because I understand the latest Nano amps use sockets whereas the SFX-03 uses the soldered leads. But Seymour Duncan's literature just mentions the 6021. I'm probably making much ado about nothing.. but I am curious....
      "Just because you're out to get me doesn't mean that I'm paranoid..."

Comment

Those tubes in the SFX will probably last longer than you will! LOL
        Have you looked at the manual? THey cover that subject.
        Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
        " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I ran this question past Kevin Beller, the designer of the SFX-03, and the Seymour Duncan amps, and our Chief Engineer, and here's what he said:
          I was not able to find any indication that a 6021W exists, however, there is a 6021WA that was made by Raytheon. It appears to be basically the same tube as the 6021 made by Phillips, RCA, Tung-Sol and Sylvania. The only difference I could find was that the 6021WA had a slightly higher rating for the maximum and peak plate voltages and a slightly lower maximum plate dissipation. This really didn't add up for me because the maximum plate current was the same for both tubes. In practical usage, I would consider them interchangeable.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. If you Google 6021W you get quite a few links and it's also the way the tube is described at ZVex. BTW, that little ImpAmp is really cool, though you might be paying more just for the novelty of it.

I plan on several more reincarnations within this plane of existence, so if I can just tatoo my DNA with the location of where I stash the Twin Tube before my demise, well...I just may need those tubes...
            I just received my SFX-03 Twin Tube... I'll post my review on the more relevant link after the obligatory wailing... and comparing it to my Holy Grail of preamps, the Kitty Hawk Quattro. (they really should outlaw wall worts... at least make them in-line with standard AC plugs)
            "If I could put time in a bottle... I'd probably just kill it like a cold beer on a hot Summer day after mowing the lawn..."

Comment

Originally posted by marvar View Post
              Those tubes in the SFX will probably last longer than you will! LOL
              Have you looked at the manual? THey cover that subject.
              http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/sfx_03_manual.pdf
              yeah you hear things like this all the time that's why I bought my twin tube. but it's not true or I've got a lemon because this is the second time my 6021's have failed. and this thing has been babied.It's only been out of my home studio a dozen times. It's never kept on , I let it warm up before I use it. So no the tubes last about a year and so unless your a fly you sould way way outlive the tubes.

Comment

Working...
              X