gah, ok, preamp tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gah, ok, preamp tubes

ok, i know 12ax7's are the highest gain tubes, and 12at7's are like a lower gain tube for the PI, but apparently i'm confused about 12ay7's and 12au7's

see, i thought both of those were just even lower gain phase inverter tubes, but the groove tube site says 12ay7's in the preamp will clean up the tone, and a 12au7 is either a low gain preamp tube or a "high current" PI tube, which i guess means more gain than a 12ax7? I know ampeg svt's use both 12au7's and 12ax7's, but i guess i assumed the 12au7 was in the PI

so basically, if you had 2 preamp tubes & one PI tube, what would be the absolute cleanest setup you could run without compromising any volume?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: gah, ok, preamp tubes

I don't know about current. But usually running a pre tube (gain stage) at a higher VOLTAGE at the plate means more headroom, i.e a cleaner sound in a way.

Comment

I always thought that AU7 and AY7 had lower gain than a 12AT7. But don't quote me. This thread reminded me I needed to PM you, drew.
      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Regardless of numbers, in practice, a 12AY7 behaves much like a cleaner 12AX7. The 12AT7 really is best used as a PI and reverb driver, and not as a tone shaper early in the signal path.

Comment

Drew,

Your PM has been replied to!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Go to www.kcanostubes.com and select Resources. Then look for preamp tube gain chart.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
            X