Found an old valve amp in my garage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found an old valve amp in my garage!

No, I didn't score a Bogner Esctasy. Nor did I "discover" the amp by accident. After seeing many Bell & Howell all-valve projector amps sell for beans (usually under $80AU) on Ebay I've become interested in these relics from the past and their extreme affordability:

I asked my Dad if he knew anything about the company. Low and behold my Dad said that we have a circa 1940's-50's Bell & Howell projector that contains a valve amp just collecting dust in the garage.

This Model 601 16mm Sound-on-Film Projector by Bell & Howell Gaumont originally belonging to my Grandfathers boss somehow ended up in our family garage along with dozens of 16mm film reels. :

Opening the door to take a look inside at the projector, you can see how beautifully these things were made. My Dad tells me that back in the day, this would of cost a fortune for my Grandfathers Boss to purchase:

Projector door neatly storing a film reel arm, spare light bulb and other accessories:

Hello Dave! Looking at projector lens from outside it's window:

Ventilation grill on the side of the projector chassis:

Speaker door swung out:

6" Goodwin speaker with 2-pin speaker cable wrapped around:

Back of projector amp still mounted into projector chassis:

And finally, the important pics. Projector amp taken out of chassis:

These amps supposedly pump out about 15 Watts and are pretty neat for plugging guitars into. Reports say that they can achieve a tone somewhere similar to a cross between a Fender and Vox. IIRC the tubes are 3 x 6v6, 6JGT, 5Y3, 6SL7GT, and a phillips photodector tube. Single speaker connection is 16 ohms and Dual is 8 ohms. Dunno if it's Class A or whatever that wiring stuff really is.

You cats are probably wondering what it sounds like. Well, I haven't tried it out yet since it runs on 110 Volts and my neck of the woods is on 240. The old transformer and it's connecting cables that came with it are looking very tired and dangerous. I have a fairly new step down transformer that I could use but I need a 4-pin Cinch Jones type plug to connect the amp to the transformer. I don't really know where to get one either. Also, I'm restricted to using the onboard 6" speaker at the this moment in time since the amps speaker out conncetions use a 2-pin plug.

Who knows? This thing may very well sound like ass with a guitar plugged in. The tubes are probably original but overall the whole unit seems very clean. Seems better to tinker with this thing than to fork out a few bills for something like a Chinese made Epiphone Valve Junior. I'd just thought I'd share this cool vintage piece of gear with you. It's not often where instances occur when you're interested in a piece of equipment only to already have it in lying around in your garage.
    Last edited by Animal; 05-31-2006, 10:07 AM.

Re: Found an old valve amp in my garage!

Cool, have fun with your discovery. Let us know how it sounds!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

perfect candidate for conversion to a guitar head!

Comment

Just imagine..Maybe this thing is a ****ing killer sounding guitar amp, and you just discovered it.. Then you record soundclips for everybody to hear, and Scott starts making Celtic clones of it

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
        Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
        Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
        Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
        Framus FR212 CB cabinet
        Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
        Line6 Toneport UX2
        Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Ship it to me! We have 110 V here. I'll test it out for you and MAYBE return it, if you're lucky
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

those look like some stout transformers. It might sound pretty cool
            http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
            >cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing
              Ship it to me! We have 110 V here. I'll test it out for you and MAYBE return it, if you're lucky
              He he, it would probably cost more to ship it than for you to buy one!. These kind of amps seem to be popping up on teh Bay all the time.

The first link is especially recent, like finished in the past hour! And the seller is in Canada. No tubes though.

I've seen the same kind of amps go for MUCH cheaper too. I'm talkin' below $35. For instance:

Comment

I wish you guys would stop telling people about stuff like this out loud.....now the prices are really gonna climb sky high!

VERY VERY COOL ! Did you watch any of the films? Might be those long lost Beatles first trip "Down Under' tapes or something

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                  I wish you guys would stop telling people about stuff like this out loud.....now the prices are really gonna climb sky high!
                  Yeh I thought of that. Shouldn't of gone splurgin' on how cheap they are. They're probably hard to find info on for a reason.

Comment

I said that more in reference to another thread than this one

Very cool projector.....sure don't make'm like that any more!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                      VERY VERY COOL ! Did you watch any of the films? Might be those long lost Beatles first trip "Down Under' tapes or something
                      Ha ha, I remember watching some of the films over ten years ago on the same projector back when I couldn't of given a toss if a projector used 16mm film or had a valve amp inside. All I could remember was a movie of someone (probably the boss) at the driving range practicing his strokes (no pun intended) and some other unexciting scenarios.

Comment

Crank That Sucker!!!

Comment

They do indeed sound very good...I used to have about six of them from a surplus A/V place (gave a bunch away to friends). True PTP, cathode bias, Baxandall tone stack, around 15 watts, and goes from early tweed to brown Fender or even Vox at the twist of a knob. I have one left that is installed in a 30's Kodak 1x10" cabinet and it kicks a** at any volume. James Cotton used it for a bunch of harp tracks and wanted to know where to buy one...

Comment

I got one of those a year or so ago (found it at work). Unfortunately, it's missing some tubes, and I have yet to replace them.

Let me know if it's worth the trouble
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thats pretty cool. I love this old stuff. Now, lets just hope the sound isn't, well . . . bell and howl.

Comment

Working...
                              X