banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pick Ups Booster Seymour Duncan (REVIEW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pick Ups Booster Seymour Duncan (REVIEW)

Originally posted by xicodelico
    Yeah Dude! I'm gonna Bill it To Seymour... someone have the ad?
    Ehm, He didnīt mean paying the customers, he meant paying the forum members for invaluable tech advice

Then again, I seem to remember at least 3 occasions within the last year and a half that could be very much considered "paying the Forum".. 2 UGDs and the Brobucker, for example. Thanks for everything, Seymour
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

It frustrates me when I see someone complain about a product because they don't know how to use it or don't know what it's for. Read the manual!!!!

I'm going to re-iterate some things some of the other guys here said, but I want to combine it in one thread.

The SD pickup booster should be FIRST in your signal chain always. The manual even says so. It won't work correctly otherwise. Also, if you put it before an OD or Distortion pedal, it's just going to boost the signal into that pedal and not really go anywhere except possibly turn the signal to mush.

This is NOT an overdrive or distortion pedal. It isn't necessarily a volume boost either. It's a clean gain boost. Meaning, it virtually raises the output of single coils and the resonance switch changes the frequency to make it sound more like a hot or vintage humbucker. It just gives you some extra beef when you need it. It's very transparent. The fact that you barely notice it's working is a GOOD thing and part of it's appeal.

I love mine, and I use it with both humbuckers and single coils for an extra push.

Also, are you using a solid state amp? If you use this with a lot of boost on a solid state amp it's probably going to sound like poop. Because this thing is designed to work better with tube amps. The way I use mine is to push the preamp section of my amp a little more. So that way I get more saturation from the amp itself.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
        The pedal does exactly as claimed. Learn about the term "saturation" and you might understand your problem.

I really like the resonant frequency switch in position 1 when I play with single coil pickups - it really makes the SC sound like a low output humbucker.

The boost is very hardy and quiet too
        +1

That is exactly what is for.
        Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
          This is NOT an overdrive or distortion pedal.
          I never thought it was.

Originally posted by Zeromus
          It isn't necessarily a volume boost either. It's a clean gain boost.
          That's what I thought it was.

Meaning, it virtually raises the output of single coils and the resonance switch changes the frequency to make it sound more like a hot or vintage humbucker.
          As I said before, I understand the 1 and 2 positions are intended to fatten up the tone but I was under the impression that the 0 position was supposed to be neutral, as in a true clean boost -- as in, it DOESN'T fatten up or otherwise alter the tone, just increases the volume like pushing up the slider on a mixer.

It just gives you some extra beef when you need it. It's very transparent. The fact that you barely notice it's working is a GOOD thing and part of it's appeal.
          My question is was it intended to be truly transparent in the 0 position or not?If it always cranks up the bass even in the 0 position, then by definition it isn't transparent.
          Generic signature line.

Comment

Dave, with it on the 0 position, does it crank up the bass with the level of boost turned down some? When you boost a signal or increase the level, all frequencies are coming along with it. Think about it. When do you hear the most bass or treble when listening to your home stereo or surround sound system, when the volume is low or when it's up high? Same thing is going on here. What's the bass set to on your amp?

Comment

I know all about that Erik. I expect it to warm up some for the reason you give but this is well beyond that. The minimum boost is all I've ever used (dial all the way to the left at the minimum +6db) and the tone is still a lot fatter.

I'm not saying this is a bad box, only that it doesn't do what I was rightly or wrongly under the impression that it would do.
              Generic signature line.

Comment

It frustrates me when I see someone complain about a product because they don't know how to use it or don't know what it's for. Read the manual!!!!

I'm going to re-iterate some things some of the other guys here said, but I want to combine it in one thread.

The SD pickup booster should be FIRST in your signal chain always. The manual even says so. It won't work correctly otherwise. Also, if you put it before an OD or Distortion pedal, it's just going to boost the signal into that pedal and not really go anywhere except possibly turn the signal to mush.

This is NOT an overdrive or distortion pedal. It isn't necessarily a volume boost either. It's a clean gain boost. Meaning, it virtually raises the output of single coils and the resonance switch changes the frequency to make it sound more like a hot or vintage humbucker. It just gives you some extra beef when you need it. It's very transparent. The fact that you barely notice it's working is a GOOD thing and part of it's appeal.

I love mine, and I use it with both humbuckers and single coils for an extra push.

Also, are you using a solid state amp? If you use this with a lot of boost on a solid state amp it's probably going to sound like poop. Because this thing is designed to work better with tube amps. The way I use mine is to push the preamp section of my amp a little more. So that way I get more saturation from the amp itself.

I hope that clears things up a bit.
                Is it true that it doesn't work well with solid state amps? Darn, I was thinking of picking one up.

CoachC

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun
                  I know all about that Erik. I expect it to warm up some for the reason you give but this is well beyond that. The minimum boost is all I've ever used (dial all the way to the left at the minimum +6db) and the tone is still a lot fatter.

I'm not saying this is a bad box, only that it doesn't do what I was rightly or wrongly under the impression that it would do.
                  Hmmm, ok. Sounds like it's got a pretty big input cap, probably something close to 1uf. A smaller input cap would fix that. I don't own one so I have no idea what's in it or if there is even an input cap but since it's a booster of sorts, and if it's based off any of the other common designs out there, there very well could be one.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 06-07-2006, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coachc55
                    Is it true that it doesn't work well with solid state amps? Darn, I was thinking of picking one up.

CoachC
                    That was just speculation. I never tried it though an SS amp. It may work well as a boost, I don't know. I'd like to know how it'd work out personally.

Comment

Working...
                    X