Delay pedal with 2 different settings- help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay pedal with 2 different settings- help

Ok, So at the moment I have a Boss DD-6 delay pedal.
    Now its fine, it does a good job and sits in the FX loop of my Dual Recto.

However, I want to be able to switch between at least 2 different settings (d.length, feedback and maybe even the level of effect). I also would like there to be a tap tempo feature on a seperate switch.

So ideally it would be 2 buttons (in-delay patch 1 , out-delay patch 2) and the other button would be tap tempo...
    Does such a pedal exist?

Also whats the benefit of having say a Memory man instead of a DD-6. I mean the difference between Anologue and Digital Delay. Is it much? Can I get really long VH stadium delays from an Alalogue pedal???

thx for all the help in advance guys!

Grandor
    Last edited by Grandor; 06-07-2006, 02:13 AM.

Re: Delay pedal with 2 different settings- help

yeah, it does- the Line6 DL4...3 presets, plus tap tempo, looping, and you get those really long delays. Analog is essentially limited to 300ms.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You could also use a Boss Line Selector pedal in your loop and give yourself 2 loops to play with... have 2 delay pedals and switch between them with the Line Selector....... Insted of being stuck with one pedal you could buy different ones and switch between them.... even set up 2 rows of FX's and switch between them all set up and turned on.... Plus the Line Selector has a level controll for each loop so you can cut or boost each others volume a bit

Comment

My Boss DD20 Gigadelay will give me four presets and one manual mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
          yeah, it does- the Line6 DL4...3 presets, plus tap tempo, looping, and you get those really long delays. Analog is essentially limited to 300ms.
          I've heard a bit about these. Do they actually sound good? I'm very very skeptical of line6 gear...

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan
            You could also use a Boss Line Selector pedal in your loop and give yourself 2 loops to play with... have 2 delay pedals and switch between them with the Line Selector....... Insted of being stuck with one pedal you could buy different ones and switch between them.... even set up 2 rows of FX's and switch between them all set up and turned on.... Plus the Line Selector has a level controll for each loop so you can cut or boost each others volume a bit
            This is intriguing.

So I could have the FX LOOP -> DD-6 -> LINE SELECTOR then the line selector running to a Memory Man -> back to the line selector and back to the FX loop.

So I can run a memory man and a dd-6 either independantly or together.
            Thats really good.

Any other opinions on this?

Comment

There are plenty of cheap older rack mount multi-effect units that would fit the bill. Does it really need to be a pedal?

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
                This is intriguing.

So I could have the FX LOOP -> DD-6 -> LINE SELECTOR then the line selector running to a Memory Man -> back to the line selector and back to the FX loop.

So I can run a memory man and a dd-6 either independantly or together.
                Thats really good.

Any other opinions on this?
                Think of the Line Selector pedal as 2 FX Loops.... you plug it into your Amp's FX Loop and the Line Selector has 2 FX Loops with a gain/level controll for each loop..... stepping on the Line Selector switches between Loop A and Loop B..... You could put what ever pedals you want in either loop.... it basicly gives you another FX Loop to play with and the switch to each loop is clean with no pops or anything...

I use the Boss Line Selector pedal a lot!!! It is handy!!! My main use for it is to use two different Distortion boxes into a Clean channel on a C30 amp... I have one pedal set up for good rythym tones in one Loop, and a louder more distorted pedal in the other Loop.... It's like a 3 channel amp! i have Clean by turning one of the distortion pedals off at anytime.... Then Rythym distortion, and a solo pedal.... And because i'm going into the clean channel of an amp i can juice up the solo Loop for a real volume kick when switched on! Joe Walsh had this type of set up going 2 years ago.... His Pedalboard had 2 rows of distortion boxes and other fx's and he switched between the 2 rows with the Boss Line Selector....

But i have also used the Line Selector for adding a 2nd FX loop to an amp.....

I'm going to buy another Line Selector soon as a spare.... i use it a lot

Comment

Ok, after more research, I do not have the dollars to get both a line selector and a deluxe memory man.

And after researching into the line 6 Dl-4, I was amazed- I started to want one bad- then I saw the HC reviews, It seems like every single one dies within the first 3 years, if not the first year. lol.

back to square one.

Comment

ive had mine for well over 3 years, so have 2 other bandmembers and even a few students. not 1 problem among them all. add an expression pedal (don't use Line6's overpriced version) and you can control 1 parameter in each delay in real time, making really 6 presets.
                    pssst: it also makes a cool auto wah, chorus, and slight overdrive too!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                      ive had mine for well over 3 years, so have 2 other bandmembers and even a few students. not 1 problem among them all. add an expression pedal (don't use Line6's overpriced version) and you can control 1 parameter in each delay in real time, making really 6 presets.
                      pssst: it also makes a cool auto wah, chorus, and slight overdrive too!
                      Is that so?

hmm, sounds promising. Can anyone else give me some opinions on the Line 6 DM4?

Comment

Hi Grandor,

I'm assuming in your last post you were referring to the Line 6 DL4, not the DM4. Going on that assumption...

I have experience with both the DL4 and the Memory Man -- I own both, the latter being a vintage Deluxe MM. I've heard people bash Line 6 -- some who have never owned the pedal but based their opinion simply on a few minutes of noodling at a crowded Guitar Center -- but I really dig the DL4. I think it's very versitile and the tones are pretty convincing, especially in a live situation. You can get long delays, modeled after many types of analog and digital delays, along with looping capability. If price is a concern, check eBay. For the full feature spectrum, download a PDF of the DL4 from Line 6's website.

I find the Memory Man to be far less versitile and noisier, but it's got true analog warmth, which is something you can't get from anything but a true analog pedal. If I could get rid of the hiss, I'd likely use that as my primary delay; I don't need really long delays.

The nice thing about using both pedals simultaneously -- not that this is your intention -- is that you can get that big, full "Where the Streets Have No Name" delay.

- Keith

P.S. I've had my DL4 for three years, and it hasn't died, acted funky or done anything that would make me concerned about its structural integrity. Maybe I got lucky...maybe a handful of guitarists out there got unlucky.
                        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

How 'bout a Yamaha Magicstomp? I use one in my Rectos effect loop...sounds awesome, not to mention you can have exact presets for yuor delay. You'll alos get a bonus because its a multieffects unit based on the stomp series. Seriously, you can't beat the versatility, sound, and price($75-$125 used).

cheers Primo.
                          GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Comment

Yes ,the DL4, my mistake!

I have but 2 questions:

1. What type of power does it run on? Ie- can it run straight of a 'pedal pad II', does it run on 9v or 18v or does it have its own PS system?

2. How do you save presets and tweak, tweeze, mix paramaters for your presets?

Comment

To answer your questions:

1. It runs on four "C" batteries, which are 1.5 volts each. You can also use a Line 6 power adapter or -- and I highly suggest this -- use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II and set the DIP switches appropriately so it can power the DL4.

2. You save the parameters by setting the dials however you want them and, once you're happy with your effect, holding down one of the first three stomp switches for three seconds.

You can have three preset effect settings, plus you've got the fourteen-second loop sampler.

Hope this helps.

- Keith
                              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Working...
                              X