Need Some Advice for sustain ideas and some questions bout P.A. Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice for sustain ideas and some questions bout P.A. Systems

Hello everyone, hope everyone had a good weekend, I was wondering if anyone has an Idea of what to get to get some good sustain for screaming leads, I used to play with to much distortion and now am not used to the cleaner sound of my Marshall TSL 100 full stack...what would you reccomend, to have some sustain, A pedal? I'm using a Digi-Tech Screamin Blues distortion pedal that gives a kick and some power but it hums and squeals when I just want sustain

Gear:
    Marshall TSL 100 (fullstack at the moment)
    Gibson Les Paul studio (94)
    Rhandy Rhoads Jackson RR3 (what would be good pickups to use for this??, the detnators are too muddy sounding)
    Fender Stratocaster

2nd question, I have a berhinger ep2500 power amp for my berhinger ep3000 mixer, which would be louder to play through? mono or stereo? the power amp is 2400 watts but still seems weird to run the power amp wide open and use the mixer and turn the volume up pretty good to get it loud? I'm running mono right now? But Would like to know which is louder?

Thanks, RockinAngus
    Long Live Rock’N’Roll.

Re: Need Some Advice for sustain ideas and some questions bout P.A. Systems

Sustain to me comes with a decent pickup.

Action not too low, good coupling with hardware/wood, thicker strings usually help a bit. A stronger attack maybe too.
    My basswood, bolt on, Floyded Strat with loads of routing done to it sustains forever.

Comment

Sustain = volume, and finding the right place to stand.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

What pickups would you reccomned? and whats routing?
        Long Live Rock’N’Roll.

Comment

By "tons of routing" he means lots of wood is removed from the guitar.

As long as it's a quality pickup, the particular model isn't all that important. The quality of the instrument itself (wood, hardware, etc) is way more improtant.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Exactly. The pickup will only transduce sound to the amp as long as the strings vibrate. THAT is sustain.

Comment

So thicker strings? im using 10s right now for blues and rock(classic)
              Last edited by rockinangus; 06-11-2006, 10:05 AM.
              Long Live Rock’N’Roll.

Comment

My gibson seems to be fine, alot better than my strat and my jackson, and lowered the action just a bit and raised the pickup just a hair...any other suggestions for the jackson and strat( strat has 11 gauge for strings) are those compressor sustain pedals any good? and where would the be the right place to stand?
                Long Live Rock’N’Roll.

Comment

Compressors will help sustain, but they squash your dynamics, and increase noise. Lots of people love compressors, but I'm not one of them. It wouldn't hurt to give one a shot, though.

Comment

IMO, sustain is a mix of many things. You need plenty of volume, a good guitar with the right pickups, the right positioning, the right attack on the notes, etc. When I want sustain and I want light feedback, I really try to dig into the note and some trem helps to coax it into feedback. Compressors help, but like JB_From_Hell mentioned, they can squash dynamics.
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                      ....and some trem helps to coax it into feedback.
                      Oh yeah, don't be afraid to really shake a note. Move around as well, as the "sweet spot" for every note isn't gonna be the same.

Watch some old Hendrix videos, too. If anybody can school you on getting sustain via controlled feedback, it's that guy

Comment

Thanks Guys
                        Long Live Rock’N’Roll.

Comment

This is probably out of the question, but hollowbody guitars are sustain monsters.

Comment

Are you serious? haha
                            Long Live Rock’N’Roll.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinangus
                              Are you serious? haha
                              Yeah dude, it's super easy to keep a hollow body ringing. The original reason for solid body guitars was to deaden vibration, to eliminate feedback problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X