Thank God for good tube stores!!!! Doug's Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank God for good tube stores!!!! Doug's Tubes

I'm playing my Bogner Shiva Friday and in the middle of my rehearsal, the volume cuts virtually out completely and the tone turns to complete mush. I have a gig on Tuesday , so naturally I'm freaking out because I haven't had a gig in a month and the one I really want my Shiva for, I may not have it (and I wasn't sure if my Shiva was broken). I call up Doug from Doug's Tubes and order a complete retube set.

I ordered (2) matched SED EL-34s (Winged C Svetlanas), and (7) Shuguang 9th gen 12ax7s. Doug went out of his way to look up the Bogner wiring diagram for the Shiva and marked the tubes for what position he felt they should be put in (V1, V2, etc.). I didn't even ask the man to do it, but he went above and beyond to make sure I had the right tubes setup (he had me order a balanced triode for one 12ax7 for the phase inverter).

His timing was perfect. Absolutely flawless. He shipped them out Saturday via USPS Priority and they arrived Monday. I changed out every tube and the Shiva is a whole new beast. Now the bass stays perfectly clear, it's tone is punchier, more articulate and most importantly, I've got my dream amp back!

Not everyone gets positive reviews, but Doug definitely deserves it. I purchased a 2x12'' Bogner half a year ago with great success as well, so needless to say, I'll be a repeat customer.

Anybody who is looking for a quality tube dealer should definitely check out Doug's Tubes. Doug is a standup guy who delivers great products. http://dougstubes.com/
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Thank God for good tube stores!!!! Doug's Tubes

Doug Preston is the best I have run into.

He deserves all the credit you can give him. That same type of story gets told over and over again.

Some guys just deserve your loyalty. Doug's one.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

I first saw his site from a link on guitar amp blueprinting. Besides KCA NOS, Doug looks like a really good source, especially for people on the East Coast.
      Last edited by Curly; 06-12-2006, 06:45 PM.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

I love happy endings
        Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

I get most of my tubes from Doug. He is top self all the way!
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

yeah, i was thinking about retubing my nomad but i might just be getting a jcm 800
            Originally posted by kilphody
            There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

Ah, the Bogner has been fed!
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've had some amazing service from Lord Valve as of late as well. I just wanted to add him to Mike @ KCA and Doug. I'd also give a big thumbs up to Bob at Eurotubes. Between those 4, if they can't get it, there ain't none left.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Man is a great guy to deal with. I buy all my tubes from him, even though there is a tube shop thats 45 minutes drive away from me.

+1 for Doug and definitly recommended to anybody who wants to order tubes.

Cheers
                  www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Working...
                  X