just v1 or replace all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just v1 or replace all?

should i put the tung sol 12ax7a reissue in just v1 or should i just replace all of them? i'm gonna replace all the power with quad of SED el34 "winged c's", that's for sure. or should i order 1 JAN Philips 12ax7wa for v1? they're too expensive for me right now for all the positions. i'm trying to get as close to an el34 that can go from crunch to creamy, if possible. is crunch different than creamy? cause on doug's tubes it describes the JAN as creamy when overdriven, i might like that. a lot of people suggested the tung sol reissue for the pre. the only reason i'm buying just one is so i can tell how they will sound, as v1 has the most dramatic effect on the tone.
    Originally posted by kilphody
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Re: just v1 or replace all?

why are you replacing tubes...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

the tone is not up to my expectations. it could stand to get a lot better, and i know this amp can do it

Comment

nobody?

Comment

Try it in V1, see how much of a difference it makes, try mixing and matching. Your amp might find a certain combination preferable. However, all logic says V1 would make the most difference.

On a related note, a buddy gave me 3 old Mullard 12ax7s and I replaced the Sovteks in my Marshall, it really didn't make a tremendous difference. However, it completely smoothed out my Park. Right now, two of the Mullards are in V1+V2 in the Park with a Sovtek in V3, the other Mullard is in V1 of the Marshall... Just because.
          Last edited by The Golden Boy; 06-14-2006, 06:09 PM.
          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
          Originally posted by Slash2987
          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
          Originally posted by PVFan
          I'm a good sex man.
          Originally posted by Grumpy
          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

i am still thinking the tung sol, should i get the tung sol or the JAN philips?
            edit: is creamy opposite of crunch? how would the JAN philips react with the el34?

Comment

i think i'm just gonna go with one of the tung sol's for now!

Comment

the JAN Phillips is not one of my favorites, compared to RCAs or GEs. They are fairly plentiful, but nothing special tonewise, IMO. Others may disagree.
                If $$$ is a concern, than maybe you are better off with the newer production tubes for now. Try a decent NOS in V1 when you can afford it.
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

then the tung sol it is. right now it's a decision between a new set of tubes or a pedal. the new set of tubes is sounding best right now.......
                  it only costs $85 (only LOL) which isn't bad AT ALL for tubes, i think. the effect pedal will cost close to 170

Comment

i'm getting the pedal first! it's gonna be a zvex fuzz factory! i'm gonna go for that wierd but cool fuzz sound!

Comment

Working...
                    X