banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Marshalls for a more modern tone with some mojo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Marshalls for a more modern tone with some mojo?

OPINION TIME SO CHIME IN...

Which models?

do you think a JMP can do it? or is it too vintage? Jcm800?

Maybe the JMP1? 6100? Jubilee?

do you prefer the versatility of a clean channel a la the TSL, 6100, and channel switching 800s OR is it better to get a 2204/2203 with a RAT pedal or something?
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: Which Marshalls for a more modern tone with some mojo?

DSL 50 w/ something besides V30s really opens that amp up.

Otherwise I'd go for a JMP-1 Preamp/ El34 power amp, if I was looking for more modern Marshall tones.

That said, I'm a 800 series and previous Marshall guy.

And the clean channel on the 2205/2210, IMO was nothing noteworthy (at least stock). They sounded better cranked and goosed for a crunch tone.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Plexi + pedals = most versitility. You figure a TSL or a DSL with pedals = most versitility, but the Plexi accepts pedals better. For more modern tones, buy an EQ pedal and take out some of the mids. Or, you can get a modded amp a la Zakk Wylde. Like a vintage JCM 800 with 6550s, but Im not into modding amps, just pedals. I think Plexis are a great place to start when building your tonel. You pretty much got the "industry standard" (and I hate saying that) of rock tone and you just add your own flavor.
      - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
      - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
      - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
      - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
      - Tungsten Buckwheat
      - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
      - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
      - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Going the plexi + pedals route might be very interesting, but for increased versatility and louder chimier cleans, perhaps a change in the usual tubes and speakers would help. A plexi with something like 6CA7's or KT66's, and a slightly cleaner PI, might yield some interesting results, since it would be pedal boosted anyway.

A totally different experimental path may be a DSL50 with upgraded componants, such as the output transformer and the caps. I have heard that the DSL 50 with the OEI plexi OPT has formidable tone mojo while retaining full modern versatility sans pedals. I would think that not using the usual ceramic V30 or T75 speakers would help highlight the increased dimension of plexi transformer DSL50. Perhaps an alnico loaded 4x12? Now that's something to think about.

Comment

I tend to lean more towards the Plexis personally. They are considerably more difficult to use........ mainly because you gotta crank em to sound right. For a more modern sound I would say a 800. I don't really care for them much, but I have only played thru them a few times.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

An 800 or a plexi would be great.

not a mode four tho. :P

Comment

ok in the Plexi with pedals vs 800 / DSL50

which wins?
              1973 Les Paul Standard
              1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

For versatility I would go with a DSL. A Plexi is just unusable in most GIGS today. They are way too loud. Unless you are playing in a large venue. Plexis sound best when cranked, and when they are cranked most pedals will just get in the way( OD and Dist). The other guitar player I play with has a 50W DSL and it sounds great. The clean channel is very reminecent of a Plexi, and the Drive channel is a plexi pissed off and beyond. I think it is a fine sounding amp. I have heard bad things about build quality and breakdowns, but thats only what I have heard. As far as sound goes.... It will be an amp I will eventually have.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I'd go for the bluesbreaker/18 watter. Those things are so damn loud still, but they ain't a Plexi and are very transparent. You put a strat with it, you got more subtler smoother overdrives and you plug a Les Paul into it and its got the signature Marshall crunch with a bluesy, heavier vibe. I also think that they have the best cleans because they're the closest to the JTM45, and therefore, the closest to the Bassman. And it's got a pretty cool tremolo just for the hell of it! And I'm sure that they take the pedals best out of the Marshall family too.
                  - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                  - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                  - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                  - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                  - Tungsten Buckwheat
                  - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                  - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                  - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

I'm just not into distortion/OD pedals except as a slight gain boost...(exception..for low volumes/home I love a Guvnor or Plexitone into the right clean amp)

so I'd Def go DSL vs a plexi w/ peds if we are talking about gigs.

Send one over to Trace at voodoo. His TSL/DSL mods kill.. LINK

That said if I was buyin an amp with a mod in mind from Trace I think I may actually go RECTO
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Dunno about the comparision to other amps but I Gig with the DSL50 and absolutley love it!!

You can definitly get a modern as they come tone from it, aswell as old as they come!! Very versatile amp indeed!
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

For modern, JCM800 (since they're still popular) or DSL50.

One that I'm gonna cheaply plug even though you crinkle your nose at them...lol (but I don't care), JCM900 MkIII Master Volume (NOT the Dual Reverbs). These are the predecessor to the SL-X, with one less gain stage than the SL-X and one less preamp tube. Very diverse, goes from clean to scream easily. There's been a few 50 watt heads on eBay but not many. They're getting harder to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
                          An 800 or a plexi would be great.

not a mode four tho. :P
                          i agree. the mode four had some good features but i just couldn't get into a solid state amp from marshall. I love my TSL 100. The difference in the Crunch and Lead channels adds to the versatility. Although I have had some problems with it, the 5 year warranty covered it and I think I just got the "bad lemon" from the warehous because my neighbor has two full TSL 100 stacks and two TSL 122 combos and he's had no issues with any of them.
                          Originally posted by grumptruck
                          I always think of man bulge
                          "How 'bout are you willin' to make the commitment, wakin' up, goin' okay, it's gig time, what t-shirt am I gonna wear?"-Tenacious D

Comment

Originally posted by hareek
                            i agree. the mode four had some good features but i just couldn't get into a solid state amp from marshall..
                            All in the speakers (like any other marshall). I hated the mode 4 on it's acommpanying cab.

Then tried it at another shop through an old 900 series cab with 75w celestions. BIG (positive) difference.

Still WAYYYYYY overpriced, but with some speaker experimentation it sounds pretty dang good.

Comment

Plexi type head for better clean tones and more versatility over an 800 series amp or the DSL series....

Vintage 30s are great speakers and it's totally in the ears of the beholder...I don't feel that V30s aren't open sounding speakers at all...I get killer tones through V30s clean and with the little amount of gain I use!
                              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X