tube pre-amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube pre-amp

will a tube pre-amp warm up my pedals in live settings? i have a boss ds-1, digitech grunge, and digitech metal master and they just sound so harsh and dry. very thin at times. would a tube pre-amp be my best alternative? or just spend the cash on a good tube amp? and while im asking, im in a three piece band (www.anewdefinition.com) and i need an amp that will give me modern tones and be great for BOTH rythm and lead...kinda like a mesa rythm, with marshall lead...or something of that nature. the sound im trying to accomplish is heavier than marshall, and not as clean/polished sounding as a mesa...kinda like a plexi but heavy as ****...nasty, gritty, raw sounding....something raw yet heavy. any ideas?

http://www.myspace.com/anewdefintionband ...i recorded through a podxt and some kinda ****in tube pre-amp thing ,, i dunno, i...it was white?? anyways...i need some tone-advice. i dont mind that tone, its close...its kinda like a raunchier recto in my opinion. can somebody help me?
    GUITARS
    Jackson Matt Tuck Sig RR - EMG 81/85
    ESP Viper 301 - Distortion
    Dillion Acrylic V - stock
    Tradition Strat - stock

AMPS
    Mesa Single Rectifier 1x12 combo
    w/ Marshall JCM900 1936 cab 2x12 w/ GT-75's
    sigpic

Re: tube pre-amp

Make sure that you're used to changing the settings on your distortion pedals for live settings . . . add lots of mids on your amp (and set the tone controls of your pedals to add more bass) and it should take away some of that harshness and warm things up a bit. Personally, I'd get rid of one of your digitech pedals and invest in a delay, chorus, or reverb pedal to get less of a dry tone.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
    X