Marshall AVTX series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall AVTX series?

anyone have experience with the AVTX series from Marshall? the reviews I read are either "love it" or "hate it" The AVT150X model reads pretty versatile (from the manual anyways), but not sure if it's suited for the nwobhm and old-school metal I like to play. I plan to visit a Guitar Center asap and test it out.

opinions?
    we're gonna need a bigger boat

Re: Marshall AVTX series?

I got a AVT150H and AVT20. The "X's" are made in China (all non full tube marshalls are not made in england anymore) whereas the non x's are made in england. I love my AVT150 head (has oo much bells and **** for me) although I would love to get an all tube head but it beats any SS amp I've played (specially randall halfstacks and stuff). Also, if your goign to get it do not get an MG or AVT cab, spend the xtra $ and get a 1960 or similiar.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

i don't like the AVT's
      Originally posted by gibson175
      metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I tried one of these yesterday at a Guitar Center and found it sounded best at high volumes.....way too loud for my needs. Even the 50w model was the same and too loud; turn the master volume above 5 and it really opens up and gets thick overdrive. Very strange for a solid-state power section! But the overall tone of the AVTX series is "Modern" or "Nu-Metal". YUCK
        we're gonna need a bigger boat

Comment

Originally posted by chief brody
          Thanks for the replies. I tried one of these yesterday at a Guitar Center and found it sounded best at high volumes.....way too loud for my needs. Even the 50w model was the same and too loud; turn the master volume above 5 and it really opens up and gets thick overdrive. Very strange for a solid-state power section! But the overall tone of the AVTX series is "Modern" or "Nu-Metal". YUCK
          Well..the VS tech *is* designed to replicate a tube power section...and yes it def opens up better at higher volumes like a tube amp.

That said, I can get anything from Tygers era Sykes tones to SIT era Maiden tones out of the AVTs I've played (I've not played the Xs) and the VS65 I owned. Of course they will do the scoopy crap too I'm surprised you could not dial in a 800-ish tone.

That said, you may want to look at a modeller of some sort if you need that cranked NWOBHM tone at lower volumes or run a Pedal into a "regular" amp.

My little Vox DA5 works great for that (better than the Vox Valvetronix and Line 6 stuff I've owned/played), but it's only 5 watts. They do make a 15 Watt version tho (and they are pretty loud little amps)

I've got clips up HERE (first two clips at top)
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
          X