banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for hot rodded marshallesque tone - mesa stiletto or budda superdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for hot rodded marshallesque tone - mesa stiletto or budda superdrive?

hey guys, been a long time since i've posted here.

i've currently got GAS for a head with a hot rodded marshall sound. I've been looking closely at both the mesa stiletto and the budda superdrive 30 & 45. I was pretty set on one of the Buddas for a while, then i got to thinking about the stiletto, maybe one of the series I. I definately will be buying used, trying to spend no more than $1200 on the head. Anyway, I like the way the Buddas sound, but i havent gotten a chance to play the stiletto yet. Do any of you have any opinions of these amps, what are the pros and cons of each. and also anyone have clips of the stiletto?

and lastly, i'm open to suggestions on any other amps you want to suggest. just make sure they're in the hot rodded marshall vein, channel switching, and have effects loops. thanks
    Fender John Mayer Strat
    Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
    PRS Soapbar II SE
    Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
    Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Re: looking for hot rodded marshallesque tone - mesa stiletto or budda superdrive?

The Soldano Hot Rod 50+ has a nice hot rodded marshall tone to it. The only drawbacks to that amp is the sound is somewhat compressed, and the cleans are marginal at best.

I'd suggest a Rivera Knucklehead 55R which is what I'm playing these days. Truly lives up to the billing of a Fender and hot rodded Marshall in one. Great, great, great tone whether you're playing clean or dirty. They can had for a really good price if you want to go the Ebay route.
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Comment

Re: looking for hot rodded marshallesque tone - mesa stiletto or budda superdrive?

Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
      Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
      Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
      Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
      Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

The Buddas always sound more Plexi to me
        Havent heard Stiletto series 2

if you want a rodded Marshall - as far as I know get a Marshall
        Consider a Splawn (from what people tell me) and I love Bogners!
        1973 Les Paul Standard
        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

+1 on Splawn stuff if you want hot-rodded marshall.

Comment

Rivera M100.
            2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
            2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
            2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Lots of good suggestions here...

Splawn..Rivera..Stiletto...I like all three..and I'd suggest VHT as well.

I'd also suggest Voodoo and David Bray or ou very own Jeff Seal if you want a current MArshall modded.

That said, I really like the Stiletto, and I'd prolly go with that over Splawn or another Rivera....The Rivera is a little too loose at times compared to a "real deal" marshall and not quite as agressive and the Splawn is very, very, tight & aggressive.....too tight IMO. I like a slight "slop" like you get in a 2203 but not TOO much.The Stilletto is somewhere between the Rivera & Splawn and you can also tweak that "sponge" feel with it.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, i think i really need to go find a stiletto to play. i still like the budda alot, though i am definately going to look into some of the ones suggested, mostly the riveras.

can anyone comment on the clean channels of the stiletto and the splawns? the rivera sounds appealing if the clean channel is really fenderish.
                Fender John Mayer Strat
                Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
                PRS Soapbar II SE
                Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
                Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Comment

The VHT Deliverance KT120H is a brownsound machine...tried one the other day....smoking hotrod Marshall on 4 G12H's Celestions....just as fun on 4 V30's.
                  Yowsa.

Comment

The Splawns clean channel shares the gain control with the drive channel so crystal clean isn't happening, but with the volume knob backed off it's usable.
                    I tend to just roll the knob down on the dirty channel. With a nice pup it cleans up pretty well.

If you need a true, as in blackface, clean channel with a great Marshall tone in the same amp then Jeff Seal is the man.

I don't know about the stilettos but I'm real curious as Boogie has done some damn fine cleans in the past.
                    Last edited by MikeF; 06-20-2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Get a custom job like the Jeff Seal amps
                      He can LITERALLY give you a FENDER circuit and a Marshall circuit in one on a JCM800 2210 Chassis

The Stiletto, at least series one, was NOT a success. Riveras are quite respectable if you are doing country and R&B and want to get some Marshall Mojo.

Otherwise, those are NOT Marshalls, nor do they capture the essence. You realize this when you play rock music up against a real 800 or Plexi and get eaten. While Boogie Mark's do lead really well, I think Marshall, Bogner, VHT, Blockhead, and Orange really capture the ballsy feel.
                      1973 Les Paul Standard
                      1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Splawn Quick Rod - no contest!!!
                        GUITARS
                        STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
                        AMPS
                        Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Sorry there is - Custom Audio Electronics OD100!!!
                          GUITARS
                          STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
                          AMPS
                          Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Working...
                          X