Cranberries - Zombie tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranberries - Zombie tone

Anyone got any clue as to how the guitar section of The Cranberries got that big, fat, nasty sound on the distorted part of the intro (& the rest of the distorted parts) of Zombie?

I'm just kinda curious.

I'm guessing a loud, hi-gain 6L6-based amp with a fuzz and maybe a dash of octave divider.

Re: Cranberries - Zombie tone

i would say anywhere along the lines of a big muff fuzz. they were pretty popular for bands to have in the 90's.
    we can be heroes

Comment

Originally posted by castiron
      i would say anywhere along the lines of a big muff fuzz. they were pretty popular for bands to have in the 90's.
      Yeah thats what I thought... it is kinda reminiscent of the Smashing Pumpkins sound which was usually a Big Muff punishing a JCM800, IIRC.

It just sounds like there's something else going on here... that could be a distorted bass I'm hearing.

Comment

It's been a while since I've heard that song but I do recall there being a semi distorted bass on it and something that reminds me of a Big Muff for the guitars

Comment

I thought they used a 335 and an AC30 with pedals?
          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I'm listening to the song right now... as far as I can tell the bass is really clean. The distortion is definitely pedal like so it could very well be a Big Muff just because of the craze of the 90's, though I have no experience with those pedals. Either way the distortion needs to be higher in the mix or more mids.
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
            X