Overdriven rack power amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdriven rack power amps?

Do they exist? Rack power amps made to overdrive at high volumes like a regular power amp? I am in the market to get one of these, but all power amps I have seen (which is good enough for my purposes, just wondering) are made to give you clean headroom. Anyone knows about any who gets "nasty" at high volumes?

Re: Overdriven rack power amps?

Marshall Dual Monobloc. It comes as either a 20/20, a 50/50 or a 100/100. They're loud, and they get nasty but they sound oh so sweet.

Last edited by ErikH; 06-20-2006, 02:31 PM.

Comment

didnt mesa boogie make a 20:20 rack mount tube power amp? ... i bet the other boogie tube power amps get nice and tube crunchy
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Either the Mesa 20/20 or Marshall 20/20. Crank either one up and it should give you a nice break up.

Also, if you want to get more breakup, you can have your power tubes tested for that.

I know Doug @ www.dougstubes.com does that. he can test them for less headroom and that way, it'll provide you with more power tubes breakup.

oh.. both of those poweramps take EL84s.

Hope that helps!
        www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

All the Boogie power amps(2:50, 2:90, 2:100, 50/50, etc.) will get nasty at high volumes.... Boogie style. You know, cinder block crushing levels. The ones I listed are all 6L6 amps. The 2:100 is the power stage from a dual rec.

I know VHT makes an awesome rack poweramp or two, as does someone else I can't think of right now. VHT's will take EL34's as well.

Comment

Pretty much any tube power amp can be overdriven at high volumes, just like the power section of a tube amp. Of course, the lower the wattage of the power amp, i.e. Mesa 20/20, the earlier it can be overdriven. 40W cranked is still loud. I've never played anywhere that I would be able to get anywhere near overdriving a 2:90, 2:100, or similar, that would be like 2 Dual Recs going full bore.

Comment

Working...
            X