banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is the new CRATE powerblock... Really!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is the new CRATE powerblock... Really!!

I wonder... the crate powerblock(2x75/150w) SMALL amp head. I know its not a tubeamp. But will it deliver enough sound through a 4x12"? Thinkin bout using boss gt through it in case i got no p.a to plug the boss pg8 into. Great amp models on that thing. So I wonder, will the crate block through a 4x12" and a boss gt8 deliver sufficiant sound?

Re: How is the new CRATE powerblock... Really!!

i have one and i think its great. for $200 its a portable, loud amp with decent tone for a solid state amp

Comment

I don't own one but I played the set up they had at the store with just the PB and a 4x12, I thought it the sound was really good for a solid state no frills amp.
      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

i am very impressed by it, solid tones and great versatility and portability.
        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
        >cord<
        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I don't recall hearing a bad thing about it

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I played a POD XT through it once in to a 2x12. I would not hesitate to either gig with it or have it as a backup. It sounded good standalone as well. I still want one for backup purposes. At 150 Watts SS, that's about the equivilant of 50 Watts tube (assuming the 3:1 ratio, SS to Tube).

Comment

I tried one at a shop because I thought it would be cool as a power amp for a Pod XT (which they are marketing it as). To my amazement, it sounded really, really good on its own. Even with the gain up it was pretty nice - a fat crunchy sound that reminded me of a Bluesbreaker. I had it in an open back 2x12.

A really cool feature for Pod users is the XLR direct outs on the back. Run those into the PA and get your stage volume from your cab.

Such a cool little thing, and reasonably priced too. I'm normally pretty suspicious of Crate stuff, but they seem to have hit a home run with the Powerblock.
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I love it, everyone I play it for loves it.

It's cheap and it REALLY REALLY WORKS!

It's my fave tool for back up. If my whole rig failed (knock on wood), I always know I have my PB in my backpack. Crazy!
                1973 Les Paul Standard
                1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I actually was a little unsatisfied with the amp. I tried it out at Guitar Center a while back. I'm a metal guy mainly and the overdrive just dissapointed me. It seemed thin and crappy, but not in a cool dirty blues way. On the other hand, great clean head room. And the small/portable concept is really cool.
                  Geoff - OF THE EARTH - guitarist
                  http://www.myspace.com/oftheearthband

Comment

It sounds like a great idea, but I haven't tried it out yet.
                    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by Screaming In Digital
                      I actually was a little unsatisfied with the amp. I tried it out at Guitar Center a while back. I'm a metal guy mainly and the overdrive just dissapointed me. It seemed thin and crappy, but not in a cool dirty blues way. On the other hand, great clean head room. And the small/portable concept is really cool.

really? I dug it's own overdrive when I went to GC. I thought it behaved very tubey with the preamp volume. but you could always bypass it preamp and just use the power.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                        At 150 Watts SS, that's about the equivilant of 50 Watts tube (assuming the 3:1 ratio, SS to Tube).
                        Watts are watts. Bridged into an 8-ohm load, it's WAY louder than a 50W Marshall (yes, I have compared). Bridged into 16, it's not quite as loud as the Marshall, which makes sense as the Marshall is in the neighborhood of 90W flat-out.

Comment

Originally posted by AdmiralB
                          Watts are watts.
                          Sorry, that's not quite true. Volume (sound pressure level) depends on more than just RMS output.
                          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by AdmiralB
                            Watts are watts. Bridged into an 8-ohm load, it's WAY louder than a 50W Marshall (yes, I have compared). Bridged into 16, it's not quite as loud as the Marshall, which makes sense as the Marshall is in the neighborhood of 90W flat-out.
                            That is true. Marshalls are known for putting out more than what they're spec'd at. It's cool knowing that someone did a comparison like that. I've just always gone by the 3:1 SS:Tube ratio even though watts is watts.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing
                              Sorry, that's not quite true. Volume (sound pressure level) depends on more than just RMS output.
                              SPL is a function of power into the speakers, and the speakers don't care if the power is generated by tubes, semiconductors, or AC generators.

Perceived 'loudness' does vary with an awful lot of parameters, but SPL is SPL and it's totally measurable.

Comment

Working...
                              X