Swapping speakers in my cabs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping speakers in my cabs....

I've been hearing good things about a 4x12 with 2 V30's and 2 G12T-75's in it. I was looking at buying some new speakers for my cabs but upon further research I've realized that my Mesa has four 30's and my Marshall four G12T's in it. I was thinking about just swapping two out in each. But I have some questions....

- What perceived tonal difference would that potentially make?

- My Marshall is 16 ohms mono and my Mesa 8 ohms mono. I run both amps simultaneously through a whirlwind A/B box so while it is a stereo amp setup, technically each cab is running in mono. So in short, how would mixing these two types of speakers in each cab effect what ohmage I run?

- How often do you need to replace speakers in cabinets? My Marshall is about 6 years old and I was wondering how long a speakers life is and if putting two of them in my mesa would be counter intuitive due to its age. I would assume not, but I really don't know much about speakers.

- Also, how easy is a speaker swap? Are they soldered on or do they attach like car subs with screw on connectors?

Any help is much thanked and if there is any thing I'm forgetting let me know.
    DayGlo

Re: Swapping speakers in my cabs....

i am also interested in mixing v30 + g12t or g12m

any practical informations about this mixture would be great!

--

guitar speakers are built with a paper cone and a paper or texture
    suspension which is quite durable for 'midrange' applications.

a rubber suspension as used in many hifi speakers would somewhen 'disappear'
    (it does faster if sun shines on it directly)

normally i'd say - if they are treated well you can use guitar speakers over
    20 years or even much more.
    -if you don't overheat them
    -if you don't abuse them for bass applications
    -if you don't put them in rain or high humidity

you can easily check if you speaker is in good condition ...
    -by hearing - often damaged speakers don't sound ok (eg rattling)
    -by sight - if cone and suspension are ok, they should be fine

take care if you remove the grille of your cab. a speaker cone can
    be easily damaged - it's just paper!

just my 2cents
    Last edited by Baltar; 06-27-2006, 06:09 AM.
    ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

Speakers will last forever

Um mixing 8 and 16ohm speakers, I'm surious how the output resistance would change...
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Baltar
        i am also interested in mixing v30 + g12t or g12m

any practical informations about this mixture would be great!
        If you want more mids, go with the g12m. If you want more bass and warmer tone, go for the g12t. Personally I like the G12m a lot more than the g12t.

I am out of the norm because I don't really like the v30. It's good for all-purpose but I like the mid focus of the g12m and g12h.
        https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD
          mixing 8 and 16ohm speakers, I'm surious how the output resistance would change...
          I wouldn't do it. You can fanaggle the wiring to get close to the right impedance, but you can also screw things up.
          https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

in any cab you want all the speaker impedances to be the same

so don't do it

but if you wanna sell one & just buy a 16ohm version you could do it

this is kind of a high-gain mix you're doin here though, do you play metal pretty exclusively?
            Originally posted by gibson175
            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking the ohms would mess up if you wired it. Then again 8ohm load wouldnt hurt a 16 ohm speaker. Your better off getting the 8ohm version of one or the 16ohm version of the other.
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                If you want more mids, go with the g12m. If you want more bass and warmer tone, go for the g12t. Personally I like the G12m a lot more than the g12t.

I am out of the norm because I don't really like the v30. It's good for all-purpose but I like the mid focus of the g12m and g12h.
                I thought the g12t was more of a scooped metal tone instead of a warm tone. Also running your two cabs at the same time with different impedences doesn't cause impedence mismatches. The impedences should match with the amp your using. From what I read I'm confused on how many amps your using with the stereo setup. It seems your using 2 amps maybe.
                Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                Fender Frontman 15g
                Cry Baby
                Boss DS-2
                Boss CE-3
                Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo

thanks - good to know.
                  i also wasn't a big fan of the v30 until close to now ..

on the weekend we played lot's of 80ies rock up to modern rock.
                  well - i like mainly blues and wasn't very happy with the more modern
                  stuff but i found out, thats where the v30 has it's right to live.
                  it sounds nice for that musicstyle - at least for crunchy overdriven
                  modernrock rythmguitar.

due to i may need the option to play that music again here and then,
                  i thougt of turing my thunder combo into a head which also adds lots
                  of flexibity for me.
                  i read an older post of lew, where he wrote that a v30 is a nice mix
                  with a g12h, so i think of building a 212 with the thunders stock v30
                  and an eminence redcoat wizard. this may be a nice allround cab
                  for louder gigs.
                  i would still need another 112cab, but thats would be where i put
                  the texas heat in.

however ..
                  @3'scompany: perhabs you should consider to mix your 2 v30's with
                  2 g12h's - or eminence wizards, which are nearly half the price.
                  this option would also let the option to put the g12t's in the mesa
                  cab, what would be better for my taste
                  Last edited by Baltar; 06-28-2006, 02:17 AM.
                  ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

Working...
                  X