jcm800 idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcm800 idea?

i've got a jcm 800 combo from the erly 80's, i really like the distortion but if i plug into it i cnt have clean without taking the lead out and plugging it in.

i've tried a/b ing between the lo and hi input but you just loose overall volume. is there a way to make a pedal that could clean it up, like a "clean" pedal instead of a distortion pedal?

ive tried wiring a volume pot into a pedal so that when you turn it on it drops the guitar volume, like when you roll it bck on your guitar. Not werking though!

any ideas other than buying a second amp?
    http://crazytrainmusic.co.uk/

Squier Tele Custom, Nickel JB and Seth Lover

Washburn X-50, Duncan Custom and '59

Fender Precision Bass, SPB-3

Re: jcm800 idea?

You can do a couple of things.

Volume on the guitar- what kind of guitar are you playing? I use LPs and guitars wired like LPs- I added a treble bleed cap on the neck pickup, when I roll the volume off, it removes bass from the signal, and it cleans up really nice.

The other thing, you're just about there, have an OD pedal with the gain/drive turned all the way down and lower the volume on the pedal.

In either case you're not hitting the preamp with the same signal it takes to overdrive it- so it comes out "clean."
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

i guess you could try using an a/b switch into both inputs to achive "channel switching" of sorts, and maybe using some sort of pedal into the lo input to give you a clean boost...maybe a boss GE7 or similar?
      gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
      '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
      mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
      marshall 1960A 4x12
      and a few pedals

Comment

You could use a A/B switch one path has your distortion pedal to the high sensitivity input, and the other has clean boost pedal like the dod bi-fet preamp to the lower sensitivity input.

Comment

ive tried a/bing the channels, i'm not quite sure what happens, but the volume just drops, like the resistance is being interfeared with.

surely driving the lo side to the same volume would distort it tho?

i play a gibbo lp classic with a custom and a 59 and a mexican strat jb/duckbucker/duckbucker

Comment

The low input it just that, low gain. It bypasses a gain stage and yes, there is a little volume loss there.

To get what you want though, I'm afraid another amp is in order unless you set the 800 to as clean as possible and use an overdrive/distortion pedal out front.

Turning the pre-amp volume down some will help clean it up a little more. Just bump up the master volume to compensate.

Comment

You can't A/B the lo and hi inputs on a JCM800. Inserting a plug into the "lo" jack bypasses a gain stage and disconnects the "hi" input from the circuit.

I know where you're coming from - I had the same problem with my JCM800s for years. I suggest using passive means (guitar volume or volume pedal) to go from crunch down to clean (add treble bleed caps to the volume pots if you want to retain brighness). Adjust your high gain input to give a good crunch sound when the guitar volume is maxed out. Then for your highest-gain sound use a clean boost such as the Duncan, a Boss GE-7 (that's my choice) or an overdrive pedal.

Or, you might want to try a compressor to limit your signal for cleans, then switch it out for dirty - that's sort of the Andy Summers approach to the MV Marshall.
              Last edited by Rich_S; 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

thanks guys it has come to no avail that this can't be done! would be an amazing invention tho!!

Comment

If you have a look at http://www.projectguitarparts.co.uk/...lectronics.htm and scroll down to the 'Solo Master' pedal and have a read on that.

That pedal (or something similar) may do what you're asking.

Comment

sorry to hijack but has enaybody heard the solo part on the new rhcp song ? does a jcm800 can do that creamy singing smooth lead?
                    Gibson Les Paul Custom
                    Jackson RR5
                    Fender Strat MIM
                    Marshall DSL 50
                    Marshall 1960A 4x12

Comment

Working...
                    X