Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS-808 vs ZW44...

Hey.

I was at the local shop today, and i checked out the Ibanez TS-9, Boss SD-1, Fulltone OCD and MXR Zakk Wylde ZW44.

The first one was the TS-9, and it sounded quite good, a bit thin or how should we put it, cutting the lows.

The SD-1 was just crap IMO, nothing near a sound in my setup.

The OCD was nice, but again, either too much gain or too little, and it wasnt what i was looking for.

The ZW44, had a almost perfect tone, it sounded stunning, and i am 2steps away from buying it.

But they didnt have a TS808, and how is it compared to TS-808?

Remembering from my previous topics, it gonna mainly be used to boost my JCM900 that will be already overdriven.

Thanks.

Re: TS-808 vs ZW44...

The TS-808 and TS-9 are virtually identical. There's maybe 3-4 parts difference but not enough to warrant spending more on the 808 IMO.

I have the ZW-44 and you hit it right. It is actually the same circuit as the SD-1 but taylored more to Zakk's style. It does not color the natural tone much, if at all. It has more gain available than the SD-1 and TS series. The Tone knob actually works...lol. And it does what it's supposed to do....send the amp to overdriven bliss. I love mine. But since I modded the daylights out of my SD-1, I use it with the band instead.

Comment

i dunno, but i wasn't impressed with the ZW OD... i A/B'ed it with the SD-1 and it really is just a "hot-rodded" SD-1.

Comment

Well, it basically is

I love overdrives and right now the three main ones I use are a modded DS1 (no longer a distortion pedal, more like a clean boost), TS9 w/808 mod, and an mxr wylde. The ZW is great and REALLY fills things out nicely. You wouldn't notice much of a difference between the ts9 and 808, at least nothing as drastic as comparing the zw to a TS.

mJ
        EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

yeah... i guess the SD-1/ZW-OD just doesn't suit my taste... too bad. (i got a ZW wah though)

Comment

Hmm, i dunno, i heard the TS-9/808 is better for boost than the ZW, but i only tried it on a JCM2000, so its a bit different.

Comment

all the TS pedals are cutting lows... that's the way they are build! Actually that's the reason they're good for a tight metal chugachuga sound ...
              Last edited by Marcel; 06-28-2006, 02:29 PM.
              RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
              TS 7 (modded)
              Hot Rod 50+ XL
              Framus Dragon 4x12
              V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Take your amp and guitar to the shop and try a few out with your stuff. That's the only way true way to know which one will work for you. Also look at the Digitech Bad Monkey. Good pedal, great price, great sound. It's a tube screamer type circuit but sounds way better IMO.

The SD-1 and ZW-44 work really good as a boost with the level all the way up and gain all the way down.

Comment

Try the TS7 too, many say it's as good as the TS9... same circuit with just a added hot switch (which is useless and sounds like sh...imo! but you don't have to use it)!
                  RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                  TS 7 (modded)
                  Hot Rod 50+ XL
                  Framus Dragon 4x12
                  V-AMP II for practice

Comment

They dont have either of them home unfortunately.

But the songs of which's tone i want is like:
                    MoP.
                    Sanatarium/a bit Battery.
                    Creeping Death/ RTL.
                    The four Horsemen/No Remorse/ Seek & Destroy.
                    Enter Sandman/Sad But True.

Thats not all of the that i play, but its to give you a shot at what i am seeking for, but i think its the ZW that will be mounted on my board.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                      Take your amp and guitar to the shop and try a few out with your stuff. That's the only way true way to know which one will work for you. Also look at the Digitech Bad Monkey. Good pedal, great price, great sound. It's a tube screamer type circuit but sounds way better IMO.

The SD-1 and ZW-44 work really good as a boost with the level all the way up and gain all the way down.
                      Well Erik, my friend the shop has a 8days return service, so if i am careful then i could trade it in for the other, but i dont wanna go like the day after and trading it .

Comment

Originally posted by AH^DK
                        Well Erik, my friend the shop has a 8days return service, so if i am careful then i could trade it in for the other, but i dont wanna go like the day after and trading it .
                        True. With that kind of return service you may as well mess around with it for a few days. For what you're wanting to pull, I think the ZW-44 will do it best.

Comment

Then I'll try that first.

Thank you to everyone!

Comment

I really like my ZW too. I have a TS9DX modded by SD97 and its great but to drive an already overdriven amp I still prefer the ZW. That said I like my TS as a standalone OD on a clean channel better than the ZW,but the ZW is still very nice OD.Much better than any SD-1 simply because of the tone control.

Comment

Just wondering how would the Marshall Shredmaster be for this?

I got one offered for the price of a ZW44.

And the Digitech GFX1 Twin Tube Preamp?
                              Last edited by Axl H; 06-30-2006, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X