Hot Rod Delux or Peavey Delta Blues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Delux or Peavey Delta Blues?

I have the opportunity to trade for one of these amps. For those of you who have played one or preferably both, what are the advantages and disadvantages? Is one clearly better than the other?

I'm looking for a damn good clean sound with a decent overdrive channel (I'm not looking for high gain - more of a bluesy drive). Any help is appreciated.
    Guitars:
    Agile AL 3000 (Custom/59 hybrid, stock neck)
    Agile LP 2000 (A2Pro Set)
    Fender JV Strat (Texas Hot bridge, Surfer N+M)

Amps:
    5150, Bogner Shiva, JTM 45 Clone, Vox AD15VT

Cab: Avatar 4x12

Re: Hot Rod Delux or Peavey Delta Blues?

In that case, I'd take the Hot Rod Deluxe. If you need more overdrive, take the Peavey.

Fender=better clean
    Peavey=better overdrive

Comment

IMO, the Hot Rod Deluxe will give you the sound you are looking for.

Comment

i had the peavey and wasn't happy with the cleans
        ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

The blues deluxe has an awesome clean channel . . . that's what I think you should go for.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

HRD is great for a loud clean tone. I personally HATE the drive/more drive.

Comment

if you hate the drive you need to **** with the gain & master knobs more, if you roll the gain back to about 6 or 7 & boost the master volume to compensate you get a NICE overdrive tone

oh, and i think the hot rod deluxe is no doubt gonna be the one you're happier with.

based on info i recently learned (and will put into practice when i get my deville) you should run a 12at7 in the PI & v1
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

If you go DB...you gotta grab the 15" speaker version....that makes all the diff in the world on the clean channel (IMO).

That said, neither amp really do a whole lot for me..

I'd buy the blues deluxe reissue based on your needs...its not a whole lot more than a HRD.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

The Peavey has better drive, the HRD has better cleans, like others have said. I play a Peavey C30, but I play higher-gain stuff. The cleans are ok, but nothing special. Though I haven't tried the amp with a strat. The Peavey will have a great thick blues overdrive and I think it has tremolo. See if you can go play both of them and decide which works better for your needs.
                  "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Oh and Jeff, the Delta Blues is the 15" speaker version. I'd grab a Blues Deluxe Reissue over these two, but i'm trading the guy. Maybe I could sell it and upgrade if I'm not happy?
                    Guitars:
                    Agile AL 3000 (Custom/59 hybrid, stock neck)
                    Agile LP 2000 (A2Pro Set)
                    Fender JV Strat (Texas Hot bridge, Surfer N+M)

Amps:
                    5150, Bogner Shiva, JTM 45 Clone, Vox AD15VT

Cab: Avatar 4x12

Comment

it wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade, it's just a different flavor

the blues's have more of a tweedy tone to them, where as the hot rods IMO are more about the pre-blackface 60's amps
                      Originally posted by gibson175
                      metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                      X