clapton's rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clapton's rig

does anyone know what e.c. used to get his sound on "from the cradle". i love that album and was wondering if anyone knew what he used?

don;t know if this is the right place to post this. im new here.

Re: clapton's rig

I love that album too.. none of the Clapton fans in the area have even heard of it (my dad just happened to own it..)

I looove Five Long Years.

Erm, I believe he was using his signature strat (Lace Sensors with Mid boost) through Fender champs. Though I cant hear amps by ear, and couldn't find any info on the internet about that exact year..
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Comment

the tones on that album are just awesome to me, and clapton fans not knowing from the cradle? its always good when he comes back to the blues.

Comment

From what I've heard, he used TONS of different guitars on that album. Fenders, Gibsons, and who knows what else! I think he used the ES-335 for the slide work on songs like Blues Before Sunrise, not sure on this though.
        The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
        And Here on Bandcamp!
        Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

He used his strat for most of it...but he used one of his 335's on at least one song. "I'm Tore Down" off the top of my head.

I actually have his SNL appearance during his tour for this album recorded on VHS somewheres.

Comment

cool! thanks for the info guys. that album is awesome to me. i bought it when it came out and ive always thought it sounded just spectacular. i wonder what amps he used? there are just so many great sounds on itl. im no sound engineer but the recoring sounds good maybe that had a lot to do with it?

Comment

His Rig was pretty straight forward. For the slide stuff he used a early 50's Gibson Super 400 equipped with 2 P90's and it was strung with heavy strings.(Blues before Sunrise and It hurts me too). I am pretty certain the Super 400 was tuned to Db for these 2 songs. He aslo used bothe his red 335 and a dark burst 335. Both have since been autioned off for the Crossroads foundation. The rde 335 was bought by Guitar Center and is being reproduced by Gibson and sold at GC exclusively.

He also used his signature Strat which was equipped with the Lace sensors. This record was made before Fender designed the vintage noiseless PUP which are in the Clapton Signature Strat now.

As far as Amps are concerned I have read that he used Soldanos exclusively on this record. I believe he used the SLO 100, but I am not certain of this.

I saw this live tour and he had Soldano heads on a Marshall cabinet. He used his dark 335 for Tore Down and one or 2 other songs. He used the Super 400 for all the slide work, and he used a White Signature Strat. This does not mean that he did not use other gear during the recording of the CD, but I think this info is pretty close to what he used.

I own 2 EC Strats. Both equipped with the Lace sensors. IMHO these have a much better sound than the new ones do. I don't think those Noiseless PUPs have much tone to them...... Of course EC can make anything sound pretty amazing!!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I believe there's a video somewhere which shows rehearsals for the tour.

IIRC, it shows several different amps during rehearsal, although I'm not sure he used all of those on tour.

I believe the Fender Custom Shop built him a tweed Twin for the tour, to replace his old original, which he has said is his favorite amp, but not roadworthy. Personally, I think this eventually led to the current '57 Twin, since Clapton's touring gear creates a demand. It seems like 335s became more popular too, after this tour.

the rest has been covered ... it's pretty obvious on the album that he used several different tones, when appropriate for each song.

I saw him twice during this tour -- once at The L.A. Forum, and a couple of nights later at a small exclusive gig at the Hollywood House of Blues.
                He smoked on "Tore Down". Because he is a very lyrical player, people tend to forget, but he can flat out RIP when he wants.
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

indeed! he definately can rip it up when he wants to. thanks for the info guys. hey bludave do all of fenders noiseless pups have bad tone? im trying to decide what pups to put into my tele.

Comment

I just wanted to add, there are articles listed about his specific rig, I don't have time to look them up for this session.

I know he has flirted a lot with JCM800s, and Soldano's for gain sounds, but for the last 10 years he has been heavily involved with Fender Vintage and repro (Re: RI) amps on his recordings and live. Whether this is due to endorsement deals or not, I am not sure. I believe this could include this session in question.

His recent Cream album completely sounds like Fenders. I actually like his sound with a mix of JCM800s and Soldanos. It's hard to tell, he often keeps his Marshalls deep in the background. I mention this bc some companies have been very protective of EC. For example, one company once threatened to remove all their advertising from Guitar Player magazine in the 70s, should they continue to run pictures of EC holding his BC Rich Seagull.
                    1973 Les Paul Standard
                    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Just have to say that From The Cradle is one of my favorite Clapton albums! Rock On!
                      ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

I'm not sure what era "the cradle" was, but I'll just add an info, I guess. I'm not sure what he is using now, but I know that he used fender tweed amplifier about one or two years ago. He actually went to fender and asked them to duplicate it, and fender could only make 3 of them because of limited parts. The amp is something with the word "reverb," if I'm not mistaken. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that it's not the twin reverb.

There is an SNL video in which he used a Soldano head, the tone was very bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly

IIRC, it shows several different amps during rehearsal, although I'm not sure he used all of those on tour.

I believe the Fender Custom Shop built him a tweed Twin for the tour, to replace his old original, which he has said is his favorite amp, but not roadworthy. Personally, I think this eventually led to the current '57 Twin, since Clapton's touring gear creates a demand. It seems like 335s became more popular too, after this tour.

the rest has been covered ... it's pretty obvious on the album that he used several different tones, when appropriate for each song.

I saw him twice during this tour -- once at The L.A. Forum, and a couple of nights later at a small exclusive gig at the Hollywood House of Blues.
                          He smoked on "Tore Down". Because he is a very lyrical player, people tend to forget, but he can flat out RIP when he wants.
                          I never forget this
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by skyking
                            indeed! he definately can rip it up when he wants to. thanks for the info guys. hey bludave do all of fenders noiseless pups have bad tone? im trying to decide what pups to put into my tele.
                            I would recommend you go play a few guitars that are equipped with them and see how they work for you. But IMHO I have yet to play any Fender noiseless PUPs that I liked. I should also mention that My black Clapton Strat is my favorite electric guitar, it does not sound like a vintage Strat but thats what I like about it...... it sounds like a Strat on Steroids I rarely use the Preamps in the guitar, but I like the sound of the Lace sensors. I have a '57 RI that is equipped with Antiquity Texas hots and when I need a vintage type of tone its right there!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly

And thats the reason why people called Clapton a God, and its the same reason that a picture of that graffiti is my desktop wallpaper
                              The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
                              And Here on Bandcamp!
                              Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Working...
                              X