Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tubescreamer TS-5 question

Originally posted by ErikH
    Part of how the TS circuit, and even the SD-1 circuit (yes, they are very very similar in design) is that the way the clipping is arranged allows you to hear the clipped signal AND the unclipped signal. The signal is clipped in the feedback loop of the opamp, and this is called "soft" clipping. Circuits such as the Rat, DS-1, Distortion + and circuits like that have what is called "hard" clipping which is where the signal is clipped in the signal path with diodes to ground.

Part of the beauty of soft-clipping is how it works with already overdriven amps. It just adds more and makes for a great goose out front, hence the TS and SD-1 popularity.

Pure distortion or "hard" clipping is better going in to a clean amp unless you need massive amounts of distortion.

But what you are hearing is completely normal for the TS family. It's more than you probably wanted to know but it's good to know.
    Thanks Erik, good info. I knew some of that, but I didn't know exactly how to say it.
    I went and googled the Tubescreamer and the SD-1 schematics to see what was the differences. I'm not the best at reading schematics, but I could plainly see that even though the SD-1 is using practicially (if not outright copying) the same circuit as the Tubescreamer, there are vast differences in the values of a lot of the components.
    I had never used a Tubescreamer, but because I always hear that the SD-1 is based on (some have even called it a clone; doesn't make sense) I figured that the two pedals would sound more similar than they do.

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker
      Thanks Erik, good info. I knew some of that, but I didn't know exactly how to say it.
      No problem.

I went and googled the Tubescreamer and the SD-1 schematics to see what was the differences. I'm not the best at reading schematics, but I could plainly see that even though the SD-1 is using practicially (if not outright copying) the same circuit as the Tubescreamer, there are vast differences in the values of a lot of the components.
      I had never used a Tubescreamer, but because I always hear that the SD-1 is based on (some have even called it a clone; doesn't make sense) I figured that the two pedals would sound more similar than they do.
      That's part of the beauty of that design. Two different pedals that sound completely different from one other that share that design. And those two aren't the only ones either. There's loads of clones out there using the same design. The TS and SD-1 just started it all. The clipping is different between them as well, assymetrical vs. symetrical. The component differences alone change how each sound. I could make my SD-1 in to a TS easily if I wanted to, but I won't because I like the SD-1 better.

I designed a OD for myself using the same circuit design. It didn't start out that way at first but it ended up that way, and it too sounds completely different from a TS and SD-1.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
        I could make my SD-1 in to a TS easily if I wanted to, but I won't because I like the SD-1 better.
        Really? I thought I was the only one!

Comment

The downside of Arion, Behringer, Danelectro, and other less expensive pedals is that they are plastic. I am just a hobbyist, so all my gear stays in good shape in my bedroom, but I can't come to buy a plastic stompbox. The DigiTech goes for about $35, and it is in a solid metal enclosure.
          Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Really? I thought I was the only one!
            Nope, you're not. There's lots of players that prefer the SD-1. Mine is modded like all get out but it's still got that SD-1 character, only better. Coincidentally, the MXR Wylde Overdrive is a SD-1 clone, just with more gain and low end, another one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by baritone
              The downside of Arion, Behringer, Danelectro, and other less expensive pedals is that they are plastic. I am just a hobbyist, so all my gear stays in good shape in my bedroom, but I can't come to buy a plastic stompbox. The DigiTech goes for about $35, and it is in a solid metal enclosure.
              Exactly. I would never gig with one of those. They're just waiting to get smashed a few songs in. I know some folks who bought those cool Danelectro FAB pedals that sound really nice, but their switches are crap. After a week or two, kaput, dead switch. Every one of them rehoused the circuit in a different box and use a heavy duty DPDT or 3PDT to switch it on/off.

Comment

Working...
              X