Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Break In?

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...kerBreakIn.php

I was reading this and what it was saying really seemed to make sense to me. It would also explain why I have never really seemed to notice much difference between speakers initially and after a break in period.

It does go on to mention that the speakers will change their sound after using them for a while (a few seconds after using them) and then will remain the same untill you let them cool down for a long while.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've heard so much talk about speaker break in that I thought it had to be there even if I couldn't hear it . . . I remember listening very carefully to my celestion V30s and expecting to hear some sort of difference in the sound after I cranked them at my first jam session after buying them . . . but I didn't hear any real change.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Speaker Break In?

I did the same thing as you did once. It sounded like fudge!

I was thinking: "Man, I've spend all this money on new speakers, and a cab. . ."
    But I didn't break them in. So, I put the amp on clean, played low, messed with settings (i.e. crank some bass, mids, then treble, etc.), played medium, then played loud, and repeat.

I think it's Lew who likes to play music through them for a few days. We all have our different techniques, but you have to break in speakers one way or another.
    This space is for rent.

Comment

Celestion has info about breaking in speaker
      Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
      Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
      Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
      Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
      1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy
        We all have our different techniques, but you have to break in speakers one way or another.
        This is the bit that I don't really understand . . . I know that everyone SAYS that there's a big difference after speaker break in, but I honestly couldn't hear it in my amp . . . and several hours of loud guitar playing should probably do I would figure. If you read the article, then you'll probably get a different perspective on the whole speaker break in concept.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I did hear a big difference in smoothness and warmth on my Hellatone 30(G12h30) after playing it for another 15 hours on top of the intial 15 hours that Avatar puts on them.
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

What volumes did you need to play for those 15 hours to hear a difference?

Comment

I hear bigger differences in vintage designs and vintage correct materials than I do with modern materials. It's been my experience that paper based and older rubbers stretch more than the neoprene surrounds and synthetic cones in the more modern designs. To put it bluntly, it depends, and it can't hurt to follow the speaker manufacturer's recommended break in procedure.
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

That makes sense . . . I was just surprised that there seemed to be so little difference between the speakers pre and post break-in

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv
                  What volumes did you need to play for those 15 hours to hear a difference?
                  I ranged my volume from light to 100% with my 18 watt, but didn't really keep track of what I did. What I've done in the past was to hook up a cd player to an amp on low volume and let it play overnight. It seemed to work, but not 100%. It still took more playing time to really break it in. I noticed that it took longer to breakin Eminence speakers than any of my Celestions. Like Mike said, it may well just be the materials used that change the breakin time.
                  '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I like hooking my cab to my computer and using it in combination with my computer speakers. The cab sounds pretty decent and guitar tones from songs sound more emphasized through the cab. The best part is I use my computer alot and I play music on it all the time. Plus playing some shooters, shows and movies once in while help with the break-in too.
                    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                    Fender Frontman 15g
                    Cry Baby
                    Boss DS-2
                    Boss CE-3
                    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Working...
                    X