Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliability of Atomic Reactor Amps

Hey,

How many of you own atomic reactors? Are they reliable? Read a few negative things on Harmony Central about bad tone, as if a wah pedal was stuck in heel-down position. Any quality issues?

Do you like them for your modeler?

Thanks

Re: Reliability of Atomic Reactor Amps

I haven't played one, so I can't comment. But aren't they awfully expensive? I'm running my PODxt through a solid state 212 and it sounds wonderful.
    "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

I had one for my Pod XT, and it was a very high quality unit. I eventually sold it to pay some moving expenses off, and I won't be replacing it. I have sort of given up on trying to amplify modellers - it is a tremendous hassle.

The Reactor 112 will really juice up the models of your modeller. I had no complaints about the tone, especially the "wah pinned down" one. It has TONS of bottom end for a 1x12, and I attribute that to the cab design.

In the end, I decided against replacing it for these reasons:

1. It's a lot of money for what you are getting, especially considering it's made in China

2. The lack of tweak-abiliy kind of disappointed me. I would have appreciated a few tone knobs, ideally a 5 band graph EQ or something similar.

3. 18 watts is surprisingly loud, but I think I need a bit more clean headroom.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Sounds good with a Line 6 product.

Tonelab SE sounded like complete butt through it. I just believe it was designed/voiced around Line 6 products. No matter what I could never get the Tonelab to sound good through it. I ran the line out on my DA5 into it and had the same issue.

Mine has been quite reliable. Its got a huge bottom end thump...and like RD said its suprisingly loud, but could use some more clean headroom.

I think if you are using and need a POD XT & FB/ or XTL, it's worth the investment. It does help to create some dynamics and "real amp" feel that are severely lacking in the Line6 stuff, but it's still not like having a "real" amp.

At lower volumes...If you run your line 6 with the mic sims on, the sound is not very open, and lacks the punch/projection of a real amplifier. But the overall tone is pleasant. If you turn the mic sims off, it "opens up" however it becomes VERY apparent you are using a digital modeller...all the bad stuff is amplified/more clear as well...gets really harsh and glitchy. You really have to open the thing up (volume-wise) when the mic sims are on to get the best tones.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I use 2 of them in stereo with my XT. I've had them since they were first released... literally! I have #7 and #48 and have had not one issue with them. Use them regularly for gigging and studio work for the past 2+ years.
          Institute Of Noise Music Productions
          http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Director of US Sales & Operations
          Bogner Amplification
          http://www.bogneramplification.com

Comment

Thanks, guys. I have aboss GT-8 that I would like to amplify better.

Comment

I've heard positive things about running through an electro harmonix tube line driver first. I've heard that it really warms up the sound and makes it more realistic.
              Gondola Kid
              Bandcamp
              Facebook
              JimijaymesGuitarist
              Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by jmcorey
                Hey,

How many of you own atomic reactors? Are they reliable?

Thanks
                One word.

Chernobyl.

..Im a terrible human being
                Last edited by TimmyPage; 07-09-2006, 12:33 PM.
                Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                Andrew - None

Comment

Three Mile Island?

you meant amplifiers....
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                  X