Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Twin Tube ...

Hello!

It arrived this afternoon. I tried it for about 2 hours after I came back from the hosptial today. I ran it into my Blues Jr and used a stock SD-1 as a boost in front of it for the heck of it. I wanted to see how it worked as this is a common portable rig for me and I wanted to see if I could get into the game with my favorite rig (El Diablo 60 C).

It operates like an additional gain stage in your preamp. Nice and smooth gain range running from no gain to smooth Mesa levels of gain (but way smoother that most of the rectifier versions more Mark IIIc smooth). I REALLY liked it as a 2 tube, 2 channel OD-Distortion pedal. It is not as ratty as the Silver Dragon so I will still use the Dragon for the Tweedy gain sound when I need that ratty vibe. But, for everything else in this area this will be the main go to pedal for a long while I suspect.

It takes being hit with a boost just like a preamp. So it gets louder only until the tube's gain is maxed then it just picks up more gain and no volume. If ou hit the lead channel with a boost it will give you a violin like sustain that last for a long, long time.

It reacted very transparently to my amps eq settings and guitars settings. It really allowed the global EQ to seve as a tweak to the amp eq and shape the gain stages. Roll the guitar volume back and it cleans up, just like a standard tube amp. It makes me think it would work well into my ADA Microcab for recording direct as well. I have not tried it though.

I used it for a blues just break tone, classic rock tone, gain tone and violin like Santana-ish tone. It did them all better than any single pedal I have, or have ever had or heard. Better than the Tonebones, Jack Hammer, Modded DS-1's and all other high/low end stuff I have or have used over the years. An excellent real all tube OD-Distortion pedal for me. A great one.

It does not do the ratty tweed-marshall voice as nicely as other pedals I have though, but the real ratty tone is had by a lot of pedals these days. This pedal has a sweet and nice gain tone. It is a tone that I have not been able to get from any other pedal I have tried at all. This tone and it has 2 channls as well! While I did not need a second eq on the lead channel I would have liked one here.

This pedal is easily worth every penny. It would be the first pedal I would recommend to anyone in the OD-distortion area. While, like no pedal can, it can't do everything, it does nearly every thing. Further, it does nearly everything better than any of the other stuff I have tried. A++

Dale
    Last edited by drpietrzak; 07-07-2006, 11:28 AM.

Re: Seymour Duncan Twin Tube ...

great review!
    Gibson Les Paul Custom
    Jackson RR5
    Fender Strat MIM
    Marshall DSL 50
    Marshall 1960A 4x12

Comment

Wow, more GAS for me! So it worked pretty well with the Blues Junior? I've been thinking about a good dist. pedal for mine. Does it have a boost function besides rhythm/lead?

Comment

There is not a boost for either channel. You can set one up similarly to the other and use it as the boost, or hit it with any screamer pedal with no distortion and just level maxed.

Comment

Cool review. It might just make me postpone my future Tele purchase so I can get this.
          Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

Great review! been having my Gasing eyes on one of those ever since they came out.You just pushed me closer to it.
            "knowledge speaks,wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by drpietrzak
              It is not as ratty as the Silver Dragon so I will still use it for the Tweedy gain sound when I need that vibe. But, for everything else this will be the main go to pedal for a long while I suspect....

It does not do the ratty tweed-marshall voice as nicely as other pedals I have though, but the reall ratty tone is had by a lot of pedals these days. This pedal has a sweet and nice gain tone....Easily worth every penny.
              That's exactly what I found. It's somewhat of a new flavor of overdrive, while still being familiar. It's a little wooly, and a little voxy. When the gain is pushed, the notes really take off like an airplane. You know that kind of overdrive that seems to pull more sustain out of your guitar than what's naturally there? Like you pluck the note and then the pedal steps on the gas. So you're not fighting the sound to stay overdriven like you are with tweedies. But all without being an overly saturated buzzsaw distortion. It is NOT that. That's the kind of compression/sustain I don't like-the kind that just squares everything off.

What I found is that no matter what you have on your pedalboard or in your rig, there's room for this on there, because I can pretty much guess you aren't getting this tone. As a standalone unit in front of a clean tube amp, it is a great foundation, but still might need one of those "tweed in a box" pedals, and a TS/OD in front of it to make it a completely versatile rig. If you have the tweed sound in your amp, this is a great box to add sounds you aren't getting.

Comment

Nice review. I liked it so much I had Scott_F design the Celtic Evan-Rude around it.
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Who is Scott_F and what is the Celtic Evan-Rude?

Comment

Scott_F is one of the long-time members of this forum. He's also an admin. He has an amplifier company called Celtic amps. There are a few SD UGF members besides myself who own his creations. They're top notch.

The Evan-Rude is the name of the amp that was designed around the SFX-03.
                    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                      Nice review. I liked it so much I had Scott_F design the Celtic Evan-Rude around it.
                      So Evan, when will we hear some clips from you using the Evan-Rude and SD Twin Tube?
                      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I'm selling mine, so if anyone wants one for a little cheaper, let me know. I like it, but it's not what I'm after tone wise. All who have played through it love it, but it's just not the sound in my head. I'll try some new combinations as I think of different ways to try it out, but for now it's on the auction block.

Comment

i have a twin tube that i run in front of a tweed blues junior and i love it. i just started getting into playing electric guitar about a year ago so this was my first purchase of an od pedal and i can get all kinds of sounds out of it. from blues to rock its all there. im glad to see there are some other people who enjoy it as much as i do.

Comment

I'm interested in it, but I'm not playing through an amp at this time.
                            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Thats a common issue with church players? heh..

Comment

Working...
                              X