banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeremy: Compare and Contrast the TAD 6L6WGB and the Tung Sol 5881's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremy: Compare and Contrast the TAD 6L6WGB and the Tung Sol 5881's!

Since you gave me a nice description over the phone, I was hoping you'd elaborate a bit for the rest of us.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Jeremy: Compare and Contrast the TAD 6L6WGB and the Tung Sol 5881's!

do tell...doooo tell!
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

tried both these tubes in the same amp, a fender tweed bandmasterish type circut with switchable neg feedback (some/none) and switchable bias, thank you mr fitzpatrick!! most of the testing was done with no neg feedback and cathode biased and a teleish type guitar.

the tads had a full bottom end with great complex mid textures and warm sweet silky highs. the 5881 has a crystal clear high end with less bottom, a little more hi-fi sounding clean than the tads.
      the tung sol's break up earlier and stay articulate even when pushed hard. once they start to break up, the mids fatten considerably. these tubes will probably stay in the amp more since most of the time i want earlier breakup. what happened to the days where if its too loud, youre too old? stupid club owners.
      the tads are a little louder and stay clean longer but the breakup is very nice fat and round. im playing a blues festival tonight and the tads are staying in for the extra punch but for the club date after the 5881's are getting put in, a quick rebias and theyre ready to go.
      both are great tubes that i wont be giving back

Comment

Looks like I need to order another set of Tung Sols.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Jeremy was dead on with the TAD review and if you want a bit more headroom the TAD 6l6STR is the way to go with the same eqing as the WGB.
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Working...
          X