Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best speaker for 5E3?

Hey fellas-

So I'm still in the contemplating/talking stages, but I'm possibly gonna be getting a 5E3 clone (Li'l Dawg Amps). It comes stock with a Jensen P12R. I'm a speaker noob, so is this a quality speaker/a good one for this amp? Anyone got any suggestions for this type of amp (that won't break the bank)? Thanks much!

Re: Best speaker for 5E3?

Bump?!

Comment

The P12R is the classic 12" Jensen. It is an alnico magnet speaker that handles (iirc) 40-50 watts. I have an original and it's a great speaker tonewise. Very warm, with a smooth breakup. If the re-issues are anything like the original it is one of the best speakers you could use. They are not as loud, nor as bright as the Celestion Blue.

Comment

I have a Weber 12A125 in mine that I am quite pleased with. The Celestion Blue is supposed to be the ultimate though!!
        I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Ok, a P12R is about a 15-20 watt speaker and is not what would have come stock in a late (5E3) Deluxe. The late 50's Deluxe amps would have gotten a P12Q.

Also, the "reissue" Jensen speakers really are simply not great speakers, thewy have a few models that are OK but most of them are just fair speakers at best IMO.

If you want a better speaker than a reisue Jensen go with a Weber VST, Ted's 10A125 is prtty close to a P12Q and B Bent (from this forum) has a Weber 12A125 in his 5E3 clone and it's a pretty kickin speaker.

If you want more headroom and a more solid clean bass go with a ceramic speaker (like maybe the Weber 12F125, which is the same as the 12A125 but with a ceramic magnet)

If you wanted to go with the early style Jensen P12R the Weber version of that speaker is called a 12A100 and it comes in 2 versions...one with a smooth cone and one with a ribbed cone.

FWIW, IMO the best speaker for a twqeed Deluxe is a Celestion Blue, however those are $270 each right now and thats the best price I have seen on them.

Good luck!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            ... FWIW, IMO the best speaker for a tweed Deluxe is a Celestion Blue, however those are $270 each right now and thats the best price I have seen on them !
            musician's friend and others have the blues online for $249 ... but yeah, that is big coin ...

any advance word on how the new celestion 'golds' will sound? - i think they are due to hit in august ... looks like they will cost $279 (street)
            Last edited by tone4days; 07-08-2006, 09:25 AM.
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
              musician's friend and others have the blues online for $249 ... but yeah, that is big coin ...

any advance word on how the new celestion 'golds' will sound? - i think they are due to hit in august ... looks like they will cost $279 (street)

I forgot Dave at Avatar is selling the Blues at a good price too...I forget what it is but it's still what most guys woudl consider high for a 15-20 watt speaker. As for the Golds, Dave at avatar speakes very highly of them but to be honest I think they Blues are simply great speakers...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Anyone know a place where I can check prices? I need to see how much the Jensen is. Thanks!

Comment

The best place to buy those Jensens is on Ebay...new ones sell all day for around $60 each

The Webers can be bought direct and will run you around $100 give or take.

Comment

yeah, i think the golds are really only needed for higher power applications where the blues would be overstressed
                    gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

and in doing that the tone has to change a little me thinks, cant wait to hear them!!

i use a red fang in my celtic aislinn and just last night i had a couple people waiting for me to get off stage to ask how i got such great tone

Comment

I heard the Celestion Gold A/B'd with a Blue at the LA Amp Show

I felt it was similar in character, only it was a little more open, more robust, a little more like the 70s Classic Rock version of the Blue. A little meaner and bigger, but very cool and similar. It still compresses and jangles like Blues do (depending on volume), but it is NOT as jangly IMHO.
                        1973 Les Paul Standard
                        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                          ...and just last night i had a couple people waiting for me to get off stage to ask how i got such great tone
                          dude, i've heard you play ... you could pick a cigar box, a broom handle, and some rubberbands and you'd have em lined up to ask that same thing ...

is the aislinn a 5E3?
                          gear list in profile

Comment

I got checking and mine's a P12N, not an R. Mine is not a reissue. I also checked on the wattage ratings of the re-issues. The P12R is rated at 25 watts. The P12N is rated at 50 watts.

Comment

thanks, if only my chops could keep up with my tone

yes the aislinn is a 5e3, i believe that it was the first amp scott build. now i have a big aislinn as well. scotts gonna have to come up with a new name for my big one, its confusing to have two amps with the same name

Comment

Working...
                              X