Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaking the tone...

Hey guys!

I changed the preamp tubes of my Engl Screamer Combo with some JJs..the cleans improved and the crunch channel is great for blues kinda stuff and great for rythm playing..but the 4th channel isnīt smooth..itīs a fuzzy sound. Now what to do?

Should I change the power tubes for 2 JJs 6L6 Red Label or

should I go with a pedal (Mi Audio Tube Zone) and leave the stock power tubes or

should I do both because better power tubes will improve the sound even with the pedal?

Schmoooth tone is what I want

Will a power tubes change, change the amp so much that you can call it a revolution? :6:

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Guitarist
    Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
    http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Re: Tweaking the tone...

What did the amp have in it before?
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I talked to Rocker35 here the other day and he thinks that the stock Engl power tubes could be Sovteks.

The preamp tubes were also stock but I changed them for JJs.
      Last edited by StrangeSound; 07-09-2006, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Yes, changing power tubes can cause a tone change that you would call it a revolution, especially if the tubes are from different manufacturers and types.

If your basic sound is fuzzy, you can smoothen it by using the complementing power tubes. For example, KT77 and EL34 sound different from each other, with KT77 you get more crunch. KT88 is the equivalent of 6L6, I think, so you may want to try that. Or, you can stick with 6L6 and get it from JJ tubes. JJ tubes sound smoother and more balanced than any other tubes I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by JLagoon
          Yes, changing power tubes can cause a tone change that you would call it a revolution, especially if the tubes are from different manufacturers and types.

If your basic sound is fuzzy, you can smoothen it by using the complementing power tubes. For example, KT77 and EL34 sound different from each other, with KT77 you get more crunch. KT88 is the equivalent of 6L6, I think, so you may want to try that. Or, you can stick with 6L6 and get it from JJ tubes. JJ tubes sound smoother and more balanced than any other tubes I tried.
          Thanks for the information!! Very interesting...Iīve noticed an improvement after changing the preamp tubes but only in the clean-channel.

Iīll try new power tubes by JJ then. First, without "biasing" and if the tone is better, Iīll take the amp to a amp tech or so who bias the amp finally.

I know the bias can change the tone too...perhaps the tubes will be too "cold" or too "hot" then..hm..better to check the bias immediately.
          Last edited by StrangeSound; 07-09-2006, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Ask Bob at eurotubes.com, this guy knows his stuff inside and out.

Oh, you're from Germany. Mmmm..... Bob is in the US.
            Last edited by JLagoon; 07-09-2006, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JLagoon
              Ask Bob at eurotubes.com, this guy knows his stuff inside and out.

Oh, you're from Germany. Mmmm..... Bob is in the US.
              Thanks..I could send a email or so.

Comment

I think I will go with the pedal first.

The amp gives a hiss when Iīm in the clean channel..this could be "repaired" when I change the tubes? I changed the preamp V1,V2 and V4 weeks ago..perhaps V3 or the 2 power tubes produce the hiss? I think the hiss was there since day one.

But pedal first.

Comment

I am not a big fan of JJ's in both V1 and V1. It just adds alot of darkness. You can usually get away with a JJ ECC83S and a JJ ECC803S in V1 and V2, if the amp is a brighter amp.

Usually, I put a JJ in either V1 or V2, and put something else in the other slots. An EH 12AX7 is a good choice, expecially when testing.
                  Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                  Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords
                    I am not a big fan of JJ's in both V1 and V1. It just adds alot of darkness. You can usually get away with a JJ ECC83S and a JJ ECC803S in V1 and V2, if the amp is a brighter amp.

Usually, I put a JJ in either V1 or V2, and put something else in the other slots. An EH 12AX7 is a good choice, expecially when testing.
                    Yeah, the amp I have is quite bright..I`ll test a EH soon!! Thanks!

Which power tubes would you suggest?
                    Last edited by StrangeSound; 07-11-2006, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X