banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Bandit Quandry - Which 12" speaker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Bandit Quandry - Which 12" speaker???

My main amp is an old Peavey Bandit with the 12" Scorpion speaker. Unfortunately, the speaker just went out on me. It was crackling and sounding like I was overdriving it when I wasn't and today it finally gave up the ghost. My question is this: Do I replace it with the same 12" Scorpion speaker or should I get something else for it?

I play mostly blues and rock on both my acoustic and electric. Getting a whole new amp setup is not really an option because I would really like a tube amp but I can't spend that kind of money right now. I would like to get a Mesa Boogie a couple years down the road so if I can fix this one for less than $100 that would be great.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Re: Peavey Bandit Quandry - Which 12" speaker???

Look into a Eminence Red Fang, wouldent hurt.

Comment

The generic Eminence Fender 12" (kinda like the Legend) works well in this amp; 50 watt rating, relatively uncolored, inexpensive. The RI C12N might work pretty well too...

Comment

vintage 30's are amazing!
        http://crazytrainmusic.co.uk/

Squier Tele Custom, Nickel JB and Seth Lover

Washburn X-50, Duncan Custom and '59

Fender Precision Bass, SPB-3

Comment

v30s will definately give you a lot of sparkle and presence . . . might be too bright if the bandit is an open back cab though . . .
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

an older Bandit.

The Peavey Sheffield in the newer Bandits is a far better speaker.

But I wouldn't discount the other recommendations given thus far.
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Is it my understanding that the Peavey Bandit is an 80 watt amp? I just bought a older(think silver stripes on the front!) Peavey Special "solo Series", with the scorpion speaker, and it's 120 watts at 4 or 8 ohms, and you just plug the speaker into one of the outputs on the combo, pretty cool. I guess what I'm getting at is you'll want a higher wattage speaker?
              Originally posted by B2D
              Congratulations. You've just run upon the guitar equivalent of wiping your ass with sandpaper only once a week.

99 MIJ Jackson Performer PS4 (LW Classic/Metal)
              ?? MIK Ibanez RG320DX
              04 MIM Fender Strat
              97 Peavey 5150 w/matching cab
              91 Peavey Bravo
              Boss NS2
              Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
              Digitech GNX1
              --FOR SALE--
              06 Peavey Valveking 112

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I looked at the Eminence Red Fang and they are a little pricey new - $150. If I could find one on eBay that would be perfect but chances are not. I'm going to check into the Peavey Sheffield speaker as well. The first thing I need to do is open her up and check all the contacts to make sure it is the speaker before I spend the money on a new one.

I believe the older bandits are 65 - 70 watts.

Comment

I think I may pull the trigger on a Celstion Seventy 80. They seem to have gotten good reviews and many people recommend them as a cheap upgrade to the Peavey Bandits!

Comment

Let me know the outcome.

Teknon Theou
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Is a V30 enough power handling? Isn't it like an 80 watt amp?
                      "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

The speaker in the Special was a Scorpion Plus, rated to handle the extra power in the Special. Older Bandits were rated at 65 watts, and the Specials at 120 watts RMS. When the newer Transtube Bandits came out, they were rated at 80 watts in at 8ohm load (combo speaker), and 100 watts into a 4 ohm load. The TT Bandit combo and Peavey's 112SX cab makes for a nice little rig.

The Scorpion Series speakers were pretty good sounding speakers in those amps, and they were very durable. You can probably still get a recone kit for the Scorpion thru Peavey--I'd check their Forum website, or give their CS department a call. You can do the recone yourself--it's easy! I also liked their Sheffield Speakers, but I'm not crazy about the "Blue Marvels".

The cool thing about putting another Scorpion in it? I bet you could find one for dirt cheap!

Whatever you get, be sure it has the same impedence rating as your old speaker.

Good luck!

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thanks for all the input! I checked out some stuff on Ebay and there was nothing there that I could get immediately so I went to Parts Express and ordered a speaker. Peavey wanted to charge $70 + shipping just for the basket!!! I got an Eminence 12" Swamp Thang for $84 shipped. It was a toss up between the Texas heat and the Swamp Thang but I chose the fatter bottom end and better sustain of the Swamp Thang.

Anyone have any experience with this speaker? I'm supposed to get it on Friday so I'll post on my experience.

Comment

Please do keep us posted. May it be the speaker of your dreams.

Teknon Theou

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat
                              an older Bandit.

The Peavey Sheffield in the newer Bandits is a far better speaker.

But I wouldn't discount the other recommendations given thus far.
                              Are they (old Bandits) cool or something? How old? I have a Bandit 112 from about 1993 or 94, & I don't care for it all that much.
                              Curt
                              CGord on myspace.com or soundclick.com

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Black Cherry
                              Dean Z-X, SD SH-6 Distortion (bridge), Black
                              Ibanez RG410, EMG 85, Pearl Red
                              Squier '51, 2-Tone Sunburst
                              Washburn WG587, Metallic Red
                              Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-5 bass, Black
                              Ibanez SR500 bass, Satin Mahogany

Comment

Working...
                              X