Celestion G12H vs G12M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestion G12H vs G12M

What's the difference between these two speakers? And what styles are they voiced for?

Re: Celestion G12H vs G12M

similar speaker with different magnets, H is heavier than M which gives it more power, deeper bottom and a broader tone.
    i use both, the g12m is more creamy and woody.

Comment

Jeremy is right on, they are a great combo in a 2x12 or 4x12 in a x pattern.
      '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Thanks guys.
        So do you mic both of them? Or just one?

Is it right to say that the G12H is better off for heavier rock tones, and the G12M is voiced for cleaner stuff? Or is that too generalized? Haha.

Comment

I defer to Jeremy on micing, but they are both great for classic rock/blues with beautifully, warm cleans from both. But with the lower power ratings for each 25/30 watts they will have the tendency to add speaker breakup to the mix. I love my 2x12 loaded with a G12H30/G12M Greenback!
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Thanks JumpMarine... What amp you using?
            Is your cab closed back or open?

Comment

Closed back with my 18 watt TMB head....sounds like heaven!

Comment

Hehe sweet!

Well I guess what I really want to know is... if you had to chose 1 out of these 2, which would it be, and why?

Thanks!

Comment

I have g12m and g12h speakers in my 412 and really like the mix. The g12h has an emphasis on lower frequencies so it gives the cabinet a little more low end punch. The g12h has more emphasis on the mid mids I guess

Nice combo. I actually like to mic the g12m for recording but I'm thinking the g12h may be a little better for live playing, since it's not as bright, and guitar amps tend to sound brighter when mic'd through a PA system.. not always the case, but that's what my experience tells me.
                  https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                    I have g12m and g12h speakers in my 412 and really like the mix. The g12h has an emphasis on lower frequencies so it gives the cabinet a little more low end punch. The g12h has more emphasis on the mid mids I guess

Nice combo. I actually like to mic the g12m for recording but I'm thinking the g12h may be a little better for live playing, since it's not as bright, and guitar amps tend to sound brighter when mic'd through a PA system.. not always the case, but that's what my experience tells me.
                    Thanks Stevo. You mean the G12M has more emphasis on the mids?

Comment

yep thats what he meant.

i usually mic the g12h on stage but in the studio i mic both and pan them hard right and left

Comment

Alright, thanks once again guys. Think thats all I need to know!

Comment

How is this combo for Power/Metal and how does it go with strats ???
                          And where is the best deal for them newones???
                          Thanks guys.
                          Active Duty Rig:
                          MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                          Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

goes great with strats, not sure about power metal. the g12m is a little mushy

Comment

Working...
                            X