No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone use a BBE Sonic Maximizer?

Get a guitar exciter pedal (not sure of the brand name) they r meant to be really good.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

I have one in my rack, but I don't use it too much. It kind of cleans up things, the way I use it, so it sort-of rounds out your tone.
      This space is for rent.

Comment

I have one. It's good for making your sound very hi-fi, clean, and tight .etc. I would also imagine they would be cool for various studio applications and live performances.

They work best for digital modelers since they are very processed things to begin with. I have an older rackmount version which is annoying.

For the organic tone purist, I would not recommend such a device.

Comment

How does it compare to an ordinary compressor pedal?
          Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Originally posted by baritone
            How does it compare to an ordinary compressor pedal?
            Well it is more exciter ,limiter,compressor and eq in one box.It is a huge difference in tone when you really turn the knobs ,but the sustain does not change like a compressor.
            www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

It's irrelevant to a compressor. It's not a dynamic processor. What you have to understand is that it's a phase correction device. The fact that it has knobs that boost the treble and bass doesn't make it an Equalizer. Sure they boost the highs and lows if you crank them, but mine never make it past 12:00. And they're not just boosting the highs and lows. What they're really doing is boosting the amount of BBE process to those areas, too.

BBE's change the timing of when and how various frequency bands hit the speaker, in microseconds. So it makes the way the speaker vibrates more efficient. Anyone who likes vintage tones knows that more efficient isn't always an improvement. A Pod is a much more efficient use of energy than an old Bassman, but I'll take the Bassman.

I wouldn't use it anywhere else in the signal other than the loop, or before the power amp in a rack. The "Stinger" was kind of a toy, and I wouldn't judge anything based on that either. The new Sonic Stomp looks okay, but the good thing about it is the hard bypass. Just remember that even though it's a stomp box it shouldn't go before the amp IMO.

FFS-In the Lonestar, was it in the FX loop?

Comment

Let's try this another way

If I use it SPARINGLY in my FX Loop along with a TC Electronics G Major, will it let my amp breath but give it a little bigger tone, and little nastier bottom end?
                1973 Les Paul Standard
                1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo

FFS-In the Lonestar, was it in the FX loop?
                  To be fair, it wasn't run through the loop as the GC goon didn't feel like giving me the three patches necessary to do it like that, and I didn't want to push him since I didn't have the money to buy it that day. I've heard a few people say it works better in front, others say it's strictly for the loop. If it'd had less of an influence on the tone I would've been inclined to try it in the loop, but the coloration really turned me off to the idea of further demoing. I knew it wasn't something I was going to shell out $100 for.

However, I'm a lot more picky about coloration than most people- case in point, I recently sold off the "totally, unbelievably, you-wouldn't-even-know-it-was-there transparent" ISP Decimator because of the slight sterilization it imparts onto your tone- so YM will probably V.

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
                    Let's try this another way

If I use it SPARINGLY in my FX Loop along with a TC Electronics G Major, will it let my amp breath but give it a little bigger tone, and little nastier bottom end?
                    YUP! That's exactly what it will do.

FFS-As for the pedal coloring the sound, remember it's completely reorganizing the phase relationships. Putting it before the preamp is extremely likely to impart more tonal coloration than in the loop. It will actually screw with how the amp handles harmonics and overtones. Maybe some are recommending it in front of the amp, but I'll be the first to say it will wreck any good tone if used in front, even if you were running the amp clean. Ona cheap amp, it might be a good toy in front, to manipulate and excite the overdrive, but not on a good tube pre like the Boogie. I'm not trying to convince you or anything. I'm with you on the coloration, that's why I true-bypass mine. But when they're engaged, they do exactly what Olin is anticipating they might do.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo
                      But when they're engaged, they do exactly what Olin is anticipating they might do.
                      I don't doubt it, and I will say that the low end seemed to benefit from having the BBE kicked on. Like I said, if I were to use it it no doubt would go in the loop, since I don't like anything in front of the amp anyway, and due to the nature of the pedal I'll take your word that it colors less in the loop. Still, every pedal I've ever used retains most of it's coloration whether in the loop or in front (i.e. the Decimator), and the BBE has enough that I couldn't recommend it personally based on that one test drive (although usually my policy is not to yea or nay a piece of gear until after I've owned it, gigged it and gotten past the honeymoon period with it). Just my .02. I'm glad you're able to get a good effect out of it, though, and I know there's a ton of other guys who do too.

Comment

are you talking the pedal or the plug in?
                        PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
                        DAW: Nuendo
                        Noise: 5150
                        Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

I bought the 462 used on Craig's for $40 2 miles from me.

Hooked it in. It CAN make you sound processed. Used lightly, it beefs up my Shiva and makes it a little bigger. I use it before my FX. I THINK it's a keeper. it has a bypass, so if I do not like it I can tune it out.
                          1973 Les Paul Standard
                          1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I have a 482 in my Mesa rack but I don't use it all that much and sparingly when I do. With the Mark II and Mark III voices it nails the Metallica thing in spades.

I don't do hard-core metal that often but when I need to put the kiddies in their place it's a cool toy to have.
                            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Working...
                            X