What do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do i need?

Yup basically, what do i need to achieve a great rock tone?

I am very inspired by AC/DC, Twisted Sister, D-A-D/Disneyland After Dark (You probs know them, they made a song "sleeping my day away" in 89 thats quite known), and a lot of others who play rock.

My biggest inspiration is D-A-D, Jacob the guitar player uses many semi solids, but his most used one is a Gibson ES-446 with a block, and Phat cat neck and antiquity bridge pickup, and i myself use a Phat cat neck and Custom Custom bridge for a bit hotter sound, and live he uses a 2203 JCM800, and in studio its also a bad cat, Plexi, JMP50 and such, and they are cranked quite a bit so its alot of gain, basically close to the max of a 800 without a pedal pushing it.

But my amp just hasnt got the guts imo, its like a blankets over it, and there aint enough gain in it to really give me the sound i want.

I use the preamp on max on the lead chanel, and volume at 3, because i cannot crank it.

It has 12AX7's in the Preamp and El-34s in the poweramp.

What is the need here`?

A new pedal? In this case which one? Boost or seperate?

And dont go after my previous metallica thing, just listened to my old records of d-a-d, and the spirits back

Thanks,

-AH.

Re: What do i need?

have you tried backing off the preamp and getting the power tubes working a little harder? ... i do not think you need to hit the front end harder ... all that will do is saturate it even more (given that you crank the preamp all the way) ... unless you want to back off the preamp, use a pedal to get some cunch going, then open up the poweramp with the master up a bit ... i guess another approach could be an attentuator on the output but before the speaker ...

dunno if some new tubes could open it up - is it time to replace them?

are you inclined to get the amp modded? maybe it has too much 'choking' negative feedback

i suppose some new speakers could help you out too

there are an aweful lotta variables - hard to give specific advice without hearing it ... just trying to give you some things to consider

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

The tubes are getting changed i think, but what 34's are good for what i am searching for?

And which speaker would also be good if that was the case?

The problem is that i dont have a master volume, only one to each channel.

Comment

Originally posted by AH^DK
        The tubes are getting changed i think, but what 34's are good for what i am searching for?

And which speaker would also be good if that was the case?

The problem is that i dont have a master volume, only one to each channel.
        For AC/DC and vintage type of tones the SED winged C's work great. The volume on each channel is just master volumes for each channel. So that means you got two separate master volume controls. Cranking that and lower your pre-amp gives you tones you hear on records. I think just cranking preamp only just muddies your tone instead of adding more gain.
        Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
        Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
        Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
        Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
        Fender Frontman 15g
        Cry Baby
        Boss DS-2
        Boss CE-3
        Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Hmm, the question is if i should change the jcm900 out for a used top,

But which one?

I was thinking a plexi or JCM800, but are there other pure tube that rock that doesent cost over 1500USD?

I tried to crank this one, and i just can get it to really sound GREAT.

Comment

How about a marshall 30th anniversary edition amp? Make sure it has El-34s in it too. There's a limited run of them with the brass used in it, those are supposedly better. It has three channels a clean like a jtm, a crunch like a jcm 800, and lead like a jcm 900. It has 7 pre-amp tubes, so its going be high in maintence costs. They seem be nice for any genre.
            Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
            Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
            Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
            Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
            Fender Frontman 15g
            Cry Baby
            Boss DS-2
            Boss CE-3
            Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Working...
            X