GAS for Mesa Lonestar-a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAS for Mesa Lonestar-a good thing?

See title - been reading, been looking, gonna play as soon as I get in a room with one and a guitar....Anyone been playing one of these?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: GAS for Mesa Lonestar-a good thing?

What style of music?

For that in between sort of country/rock/classic rock sound - VERY NICE amp, pretty clean sound. I still have to consider that the new price is NOT far off from a couple of other amps that are competitive, such as used Matchless, Budda SD30, and Bogner Shivas - which have a less farty gain sound, with more clarity. The Lonestar has that Saturated Mark I style THICK lead tone lurking in it, but doing the Marshall-y rhythm style is not as much it's forte.
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Re: GAS for Mesa Lonestar-a good thing?

I think it's best with a PRS or a Gibson LP. If you are looking for that smooth lead cranked Mk1 Santana type sound, then it's great. You need to give the amp some volume before you start smokin though, especially with single coils. The clean channel is really good too, but the crunchy rhythm sound isnt that great. You really gotta take some time with that amp, just like all boogies, to dial in a great tone. It sounds better with humbuckers to me than with single coils, very big difference. It's a very good amp.
      - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
      - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
      - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
      - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
      - Tungsten Buckwheat
      - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
      - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
      - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Working...
      X