aislinn 6L6 amp review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aislinn 6L6 amp review

i had scott build me an aislinn 6L6 chassis to go with my 6v6 version. similar to a tweed bandmaster circut but with a few changes.
    controls for bright vol, normal vol, treble, bass, mid
    switches for on/off, stand by, cathode/fixed bias, and neg feedback on/off
    a jensen p10q and mojo bv12-30 for speakers and a pine box with floating baffle.
    v1- rca 12ay7
    v2- national 12ax7
    v3- balanced gt12ax7m
    v4/v5- tung sol 5881
    v6- jan 5u4

heres what i emailed scott:
    i played it with the tung sols in there biased at 41 ma on this weekend. all i can say is wow, the amp rocks!! with my esquire on sunday i was really in tonal nirvana.
    treble and bass half way with the mids down, normal channel volume around 4, cathode bias with neg feedback and just the 10" gives a warm plucky clean tone good for comping and clean licks.
    treble at 7.5, bass at 4, mids up, bright channel volume at 8, cathode bias with no neg feedback and both speakers, thats what i played most of the night. cleans up great when you roll back the volume on the guitar to 2 or 3 and gives a very full round tone with great detail. at about 5 and 6 it gets gritty, chords bark and single notes bite with a big thick midrange right behind it. the tone has lots of momentum and is very inspiring to play. full up theres sustain as long as you want a note to ring, but the amp is very touch responsive so you can cut the note off nice and clean with out any extraneous noise, overdriven glory my friend. good crunch, screams or crys with different attack and picking (and finger) stlyes. all with a full sounding bottom end that stayed focused enough for full volume low string riffing.

the amp works great with the box, the whole thing resonates with the floating baffle and the pine gives big piano like low notes.
    i put a gz34 and the small bottle tad 6L6 in there and the volume comes up a bit, almost bassman territory with a little more headroom and the bottom gets bigger.
    the neg feedback switch is cool cause with it on, the amp is more balanced and even toned. great for clean work and chording. with no neg feedback the amp gets gainier, grittier, louder and a little more touch sensitive.
    the cathode/fixed bias switch is sweet too. ill use cathode mode for almost everything since it has a great feel and the volume is a little lower and the breakup sooner. fixed bias tightens everything thing up a little, gives more punch and volume and more clean headroom, i used this mode for an outdoor show up north and even on a big stage it worked great.

this is my favorite amp i own. better than my bf dr

Re: aislinn 6L6 amp review

great review Jeremy!!! sounds like you've really got something there!?

i can't wait for my Celtic amp!!!
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Great review, Jeremy-I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one. How portable and loud would it be for a home amp (as a 2-12-or is it a 10/12)? Tonally, it sounds like what I want. Vs. your BF DR, do you miss the reverb/trem?

BTW Scott-There's a typo on the Aislinn section of your web page. In the second paragraph, you have "twweed." Just a heads up.
      Last edited by Dave; 07-26-2006, 09:49 AM.
      Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

On the typo, it's just that good that I had to put an extra w in it. Like when the kid goes down the slide and he yells "Whee!" That's what happens when you plug into it. (Thanks for telling me , in all seriousness).

Uh, jeremy you left out your girlfriend's comments....

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Any pics? Sounds like a sweet amp! I like the idea of the neg feedback switch and the floating baffle. How exactly is that designed, and how would the sound differ without the floating baffle?
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            Any pics? Sounds like a sweet amp! I like the idea of the neg feedback switch and the floating baffle. How exactly is that designed, and how would the sound differ without the floating baffle?
            A floating baffle is vintage correct for a Fender amp, I do for one feel that an amp with a floating baffle is more resonate but I do know people that argue with me about it. Another large factor is that around the time fender switched froma floating baffle to a non floating baffle (around 1971 or so) they also switched from a plywood baffle to a baffle made form MDF...IMO both of these changes made the amps sound less "alive", with in another year or 2 they also started making changes to the entire cab both materal and construction wise which is one of the reasons why a mid/late SF Fender, even aftering being "Blackfaced" still won't keep up with a true Blackface Fender.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              ON a floating baffle, it's only secured to the rest of the combo by cleats on two sides, not all four. I think the old fender baffles were cleated on the sides, but not the bottom or the top edge. It allows the baffle to flex a bit.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

the feedback and bias switches are great ideas IMO, and give a tweed amp some nice flexibility

as far as the baffle, I think the baffle in the original tweeds was also thinner (maybe 5/16"?) - and lots of people think this was a factor in the tone and response
                Last edited by Curly; 07-26-2006, 09:27 PM.
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Some of the early(ier) Fender baffles were thinner but the big deal is the fact that they were floating (bolted in) and not glued (like the later ones) and the fact that they were ply wood (not MDF like the later ones).

On the thickness thing...a lot of the early(ier) baffles are now cracked and/or repaired form putting speakers in them that were heavier than the original ones...also SRV put even heavier baffles in his Fender amps to support the massive weight from JBL's and EV's and everyone seems to like his tone.
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                    Some of the early(ier) Fender baffles were thinner but the big deal is the fact that they were floating (bolted in) and not glued (like the later ones) and the fact that they were ply wood (not MDF like the later ones).

On the thickness thing...a lot of the early(ier) baffles are now cracked and/or repaired form putting speakers in them that were heavier than the original ones...also SRV put even heavier baffles in his Fender amps to support the massive weight from JBL's and EV's and everyone seems to like his tone.
                    I agree with you on teh MDF sucking the tone out of your amp thing. That's a huge deal. I think I'd trade off the thinness for a tad more strength. I'd hate to be replacing cracked baffles all the time when someone puts a big old heavy magnet in one.

Jeremy, I'd like to see your cabinet work. For those of you that don't know, he made his own enclosure. I'm dying to see it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                      the feedback and bias switches are great ideas IMO, and give a tweed amp some nice flexibility

as far as the baffle, I think the baffle in the original tweeds was also thinner (maybe 5/16"?) - and lots of people think this was a factor in the tone and response
                      I believe that Fender's floating baffle were 11/32 inch.
                      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

any extra 1/32nd is probably a good thing?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

thats about what mine measures right around 5/16" or 11/32"
                          ill see if i can get a picture. it still has a tye-dye tshirt for the grill cloth since ive been too lazy/busy to nail down what i want and order it.

Comment

Working...
                          X