How Can I Mod A Pedal to True Bypass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I Mod A Pedal to True Bypass?

I see a lot of guys mod pedals to be true bypass...how is this done? What parts are needed. Is this a simple part I can solder in?
    Originally posted by Frankly
    PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
    Originally posted by Diocletian
    Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Re: How Can I Mod A Pedal to True Bypass?

Originally posted by PoorMan
    I see a lot of guys mod pedals to be true bypass...how is this done? What parts are needed. Is this a simple part I can solder in?
    Depending upon the pedal it can be either easy or very difficult. For example, wah pedals can easily be converted to true bypass, but an MXR phase 90 would be very difficult. For some pedals with board mounted switching, you would need to cut into the circuit board traces. Pain in the rear to do.
    7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

I had FX Doctor convert my MXR EVH Phase 90 to true bypass. He really had to take a chunk out of the board, but the results were worth it. Cost is very reasonable, and his work is super clean. You just have to live without the pedal for about three weeks.

http://www.fxdoctor.com/
      Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

One of the first projects you might want to build for yourself is a true bypass (or loop) box. This would have just a DPDT switch in it, and 4 jacks: In, Out, FX Send & FX Return. Then you can plug any FX box into the loop, & see if you even need true bypass for your pedal withoout modding it. If you have enough room on your pedalboard, just use that.
        Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

What is a True bypass?
          http://jaca.miagenciavirtual.com

Comment

The switching feature on pedals without true bypass merely turn the effect off and redirect it through the pedals circuit... so tone is not added, but some pedals drain more tone OUT than others... TRUE BYPASS, on the other hand, runs the signal DIRECTLY to the output of the pedal... the True Bypass box recommended by DIRT is a very useful tool to see if TB would be worth the effort and money....
            ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

BTW, the box mentioned above allows for the pedal to be ON at all times... so you step on the TB and ACCESS the pedal.... I love this option, but it can get confusing when running multiple pedals... you can lose track of what pedal is on or off....

The LOOOPER is probably the most effecient way of adding TB to multiple pedals...

レディース スカート ロングスカート
              ~ Life In Every Breath~

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt123
                One of the first projects you might want to build for yourself is a true bypass (or loop) box. This would have just a DPDT switch in it, and 4 jacks: In, Out, FX Send & FX Return. Then you can plug any FX box into the loop, & see if you even need true bypass for your pedal withoout modding it. If you have enough room on your pedalboard, just use that.
                Clever!!!
                Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Oh...can anyone recommend a good webshop to buy parts to build a pedal?

Comment

Originally posted by gordon_39422
                    The LOOOPER is probably the most effecient way of adding TB to multiple pedals...

www.loooper.com
                    My understanding was that Dave had some health issues and wasn't building at the moment. I could be mistaken, though.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                    My Music

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan
                      Oh...can anyone recommend a good webshop to buy parts to build a pedal?
                      OK. Check these out. Should help answer some questions.

AMZ is a resource with information about guitar effects pedals, stompboxes, audio circuits and tips on how to build them. Written by Jack Orman.

The best DIY guitar amplifier and effects pedal kits. The highest quality components and the most thorough and easy-to-follow instructions. Real customer and technical support.

schematics music electronics guitar effects pedals DIY fx circuits

Wampler Pedals build Effects pedals and Plugins, Amplifiers, and other Accessories for professional and hobby guitarists and musicians alike. Some of our classic pedals include the Tumnus, Ego Compressor, Plexi Drive and Terraform multi modulation pedal.

Good luck.

WARNING: Building and modifying pedals and guitars is addictive. Solder fumes cause OMD (obsessive modification disorder). Small children should not be allowed to test 9 volt batteries with their tongues, as the tingle can cause an unhealthy interest in electricity. It is much healthier if you come out of that dark basement and play outside.
                      Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

I do a group loop, and I love it. It did allow me to realize that there are some pedals I don't HAVE to true bypass. So for some little gigs I'll bring those pedals specifically, and leave the tone suckers and the looper at home. It's way better than hacking up a pedal, especially for resale. Sometimes you see guys trying to get more for their used pedals because they've been T/B modded, but I think mostly it narrows your audience. Since some don't even understand it, they'll stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
                          My understanding was that Dave had some health issues and wasn't building at the moment. I could be mistaken, though.
                          That is my understanding as well, Alec... I also understand that the small supply of common looopers in stock can still by purchased until he's building again..... But, I could have a misunderstanding!

Later,
                          Allen
                          ~ Life In Every Breath~

Comment

I'd recommend Guitartone.net, we've advertised it on Shredaholic.com and it seems to be quite popular with our visitors.
                            Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                            Marshall Mods

Comment

Working...
                            X