Any compressor users out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any compressor users out there?

How do you use your compressor? For boosts? For sustain? Other uses?
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Re: Any compressor users out there?

wrong forum
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon
      wrong forum
      Whoops! Htf did I do that? lmao! Hopefully one of the admins will move it now that I have a response...
      Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

I use a bit of it most of the time to even out my dynamics.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I use it the way a compressor is supposed to work, for a even sound.
          And I have plenty of room to work with, so powerchords are never louder than picked stings.

Comment

I use a Boss on acoustic guitar only, so single notes can be louder and I don't have to pick so hard.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

compressors are great for drums and bass guitar, i dont really find the use of them on guitar, being a sound engineer and u need something to slightly compress the guitar i would go to a '57 to do that little trick.

If i were to use one it would be for compressing the higher notes on the guitar to mould better with the lower strings but nothing a screw driver wouldnt sort!!
              http://crazytrainmusic.co.uk/

Squier Tele Custom, Nickel JB and Seth Lover

Washburn X-50, Duncan Custom and '59

Fender Precision Bass, SPB-3

Comment

I love my Dynacomp!
                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

#1 Even out the sound - such as that of my lousy fingerpicking!
                  #2 Clean boost for leads
                  #3 Extra sustain - such as during unusually long sustaining solos, or a super weak pup!
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I use it for clean AND dirty sounds, depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

It works well for sustaining distorted power chords as well.

Use in any way that accomplishes YOUR goal.
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

This is actually the right forum for compressor questions.

Usually I get enough compression from my amps when they are running under gain but I do use compression when I am on the clean channel of my Mesa rack. The rhythm green channel has go much gain that If I don't compress the signal a bit I tend to overload the inputs of the next processor in the chain.

Remember that a compressor limits your dynamics so if you want touch sensitivity a compressor will tend to kill that. I you want consistant levels and added sustain a compressor will help you out but with the loss of hand control. Some folks like the support of a compressor under high gain settings but I find it takes away some of the expressiveness by leveling everything out.
                      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I have a DBX 163x that I use mainly as a buffer/signal conditioner. I use it to split my signal to drive my J-Station and a Yamaha effects unit. I leave the compression turned all the way down 99% of the time. I use that 1% when I'm goofing around with power chords.

Comment

To smooth things out a bit, especially on lush wet passages.
                          Yeah!

Comment

I use my compressor to even out the low end I get when I'm really pushing my super reverb. Sometimes, it just gets a little grittier and flabbier than I like and I have to tighten it up a little bit and my MXR Dynacomp does an amazing job of that. I find that having a compressor allows me to use my volume knob more effectively (if that makes sense to you, I'm amazed). I have it on all the time
                            Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                            It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Compressors are almost a necessity for clean funk rythem playing . . . they really help to even out the single notes/frantic strumming/wailing wah stuff . . . good for jazz on subtle settings too
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X