Boss GT (Guitar) Users Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT (Guitar) Users Help Needed

MM Sabre2 into my Boss GT3 - GT. Amp(Combo) selected, Metal Distortion patch selected, output to Audigy2 sound card, then outputs via headphone socket of Altec Lansing Speakers into Silvercrest headphones.

I can get a very, very convincing tone similar to Gary Moore (playing cd through headphones as well, so it's a side by side real time comparison). The same can be achieved for a tone similar to Joe (S), using a different default patch. I only need to adjust the guitars Volume, Treble and Bass to pretty much nail the tones (of course depending on which track is being played).

As soon as i plug the GT3 into my old HH IC100L Combo the sound changes quite a lot. Mid range has dissapeared and the Quacky tone has gone as well. I tried various settings on both the Amp and GT3, but find myself lost in a sea of overwelming options.

If all else fails i will stay with the headphones, but i would rather use the HH ( it annoys the wife more

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Barry
    1978 MusicMan SabreII
    H&H 100W 212 Combo
    Peavey 30W Backstage Combo
    Boss GT3 Processor

Re: Boss GT (Guitar) Users Help Needed

I don't know about the GT3 but my GT6 has some global settings. One is to set the output of the GT6 to match what you are going into...ex. headphones, combo, stack etc. Look into that and fiddle with settings until you find one that sounds best...not necessarily the "correct" one.

Of course it could just be that your cans are a good match for the unit but the amp is not.

Comment

Hi. I tried the others but no joy, they just seem to make the tone more harsher and trebly. Strange thing is the GT.Amp (Combo) setting is the best for my headphones. Using the headphone setting only makes the tone a lot more bassier and not open sounding

Thanks for the input.

Regards Barry
      1978 MusicMan SabreII
      H&H 100W 212 Combo
      Boss GT3 Processor

Comment

If the amp has an FX-loop, try plugging the GT directly into the FX return. Set all volume levels accordingly, and turn the GT's output selector to 'To combo return'. Although the results may vary per amp, this might do the trick.
        Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
        Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

On the rear of the Combo i have:

Echo Return
          Echo Send
          Mixer Output
          Slave Output

Unfortunatly no Combo Return setting on the GT3

Regards barry
          1978 MusicMan SabreII
          H&H 100W 212 Combo
          Boss GT3 Processor

Comment

[QUOTE=barry]On the rear of the Combo i have:

Echo Return
            Echo Send
            Mixer Output
            Slave Output

Try plugging it in the Echo Return input. That sounds to me like an external effects loop. If the amp has a Echo/Loop Level or Mix pot, turn it way down. Also turn down the output level pot on the rear of the GT-3. This prevents unwanted troubles from rediculously high volume levels, and prevents the risk of harm to the amp. From that point, start tweaking until the volume satisfies you.

Originally posted by barry
            Unfortunatly no Combo Return setting on the GT3
            Sorry, I haven't had a GT-3 for quite a while. I've been through the GT-6 and currently have a GT-8, and those do have that option. Instead, select 'Power amp (combo)'.
            Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
            Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

Hi. I tried using the Echo Return which by all accounts (according to my hearing), is producing the same sound as if all the controls are flat. I'm not sure, but it appears to just bypass the amps tone circuitry.

There is a 7 pin DIN socket on the front with an 'Effects' label, but as i have no documentation for the combo, i cannot say if this would be the better option.

Using Power Amp setting on the GT3 does produce a brighter sound, but the underlying tone is missing. As i said before, using headphones, i can replicate the tone of Gary Moore (crisp metallic middy tone, for want of a better description), and it's this the HH just doesn't want to do.

Dunno if the speakers have a greater influence in it, as i'm thinking both the HH and the Audigy2 are solid state. Perhaps the speakers in the HH need higher volumes to drive them (that will please the wife i'm sure)

Regards Barry
              1978 MusicMan SabreII
              H&H 100W 212 Combo
              Boss GT3 Processor

Comment

Hi. I tried using the Echo Return which by all accounts (according to my hearing), is producing the same sound as if all the controls are flat. I'm not sure, but it appears to just bypass the amps tone circuitry.
                That is correct. It bypasses the preamp and tone controls.

There is a 7 pin DIN socket on the front with an 'Effects' label, but as i have no documentation for the combo, i cannot say if this would be the better option.
                Nevermind that, I assume that's just a footswitch connector to enable you to remotely switch some of the amps options and the external echo loop.

Comment

Oh, one other thing comes to mind. Something I ran into as well: when plugging into a guitar amp now, I NEVER have the speaker simulator turned on, as the amp already has one or more dedicated guitar speakers.

Which brings me to the only thing I think the GT-series lack: ONE switch to turn the speakersimulator on and off for ALL patches simultaneously

Try connecting it to the amp the way I described, and try switching off the speakersimulator, or tweaking the speakersimulator a bit. Maybe that brings you closer to what you want to hear.

Comment

I tried without the SpeakerSim and found the sound quite bassy, and dare i say, lifeless, almost clinical in a way. It does seem to be swings and roundabouts (english euphenism), as without the SpeakerSim, it requires additional OD/DS adjustment to bring the tone back to what i would like.

A better description of the tone i can get through the headphones is Gary Moore's 'Don't believe a word' track, (or is that Phil Lynott's). Thanks for the info, as it gives me more options to consider

Regards Barry
                    1978 MusicMan SabreII
                    H&H 100W 212 Combo
                    Boss GT3 Processor

Comment

Working...
                    X