Lets talk about Expression Pedals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about Expression Pedals.

On many FX units, there's a jack for an expression pedal, which is basically just a wah type unit that uses a pot to sweep between two parameters in an effect.
    How vital are they to tapping all the potential of a unit?
    Do any of you see them as mandatory on time based FX?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Lets talk about Expression Pedals.

I love them. I use them all the time because a lot of time you don't want to switch programs, you just want to kick up the midrange, or fade in some delay or chorus. The Digitech 2101 is the brains of my rack. The preamp stinks, I don't use it, but it's highly intuitive in the fx/cc department. I use the CC to simultaneously add a little chorus, bring up a couple midrange bands in the EQ, and maybe increase the reverb or something. So it's really multitasking that makes the CC's worth their weight in gold. To only use it as a volume or delay time adjuster it would be great, but I'd probably find another way to accomplish that, like a good volume pedal and a tap tempo delay unit. But generally for time based fx like modulation/delay/reverb it's still way cooler than messing with tap tempos IMO.

I like to link it to certain EQ frequencies, but also turn up/down the master volume 1 or 2 notches in the sweep, so you maintain a more constant volume along with the tonal manipulation. They're really the intuitive guitarists best friend and last frontier. If you know what you want to do, and can take a little time to program it, it can be as rewarding as finding the right preamp, or pickup, etc.

Sometimes in a stereo environment I'll use it to widen the stereo spread for a climactic part of a song. You can really become your own studio engineer in real time with cc's.

Comment

when i used a rack i used them quite a bit but since my rig has simplified i havent used one in years

Comment

i use mine all the time- not just for time based things either, it can control wahs, morph between 2 different amp models, and change the filter on a synth too (or all at once).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think they are important for tapping the true meaning or essence of some FX such as Rotovibes.

Here's the big caveat / a different take: As a singer and music fan I have found that showmanship matters. I played a gig last friday and there was a killer guitarist in the opener. He had a Korg keyboard and all these FX pedals and his guitar. He nailed everything he played, but he was so into toggling his FX and being behind his keyboard, I felt he never once played to me. I had NO connection with him as a member of the audience.

Everytime I see a guy playing with pedals, then I see a guy who has a less dynamic sound, but connects with me - the latter, that's the person I get energy from and remember.

If your expression pedals keep you glued to one little corner of the stage more concerned with whammy bends and rate changes, you would do better not to use them. To this day I have never bothered with the pedal on my univibe. While singing, the Expression pedal is the last thing on my mind.
          1973 Les Paul Standard
          1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I hear ya Olin. I don't usually want to be bothered by manipulating an effect, mostly because I don't want to be doing a balancing act over a pedal, just so some effect can be enhanced a little. That's why I've never bought one. However, it'd be nice to be able to tap all the potential of my 2 L6 pedals.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The only time I feel the need to use one is when I'm using a UniVibe. I like to be able to tweek the speed as I go.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
              X