Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW AC30, greenbacks or blues U2 Edge Tone

heyo everyone
    i just picked up a BRAND NEW Vox AC30 CC2 for $800 CANADIAN!!!! I know im going to want to upgrade the speakers eventually, so i can get the clean tones of the vintage top boost models, for a beatles, edge, radiohead clean tone that jangles glassy and bell like. I know the perfect speaker is the legendary blue celestions, but in a recent live video of U2 i saw the back of edge's TB ac30 and the speakers did NOT appear to be blues, but greenbacks.

anyone?
    Gibson 76' Reissue Explorer
    99' Korina Explorer- GFS modded
    2007 Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe
    TC Electronics D-Two
    TC Electronics G Major
    DMC Ground Control Pro+GCX Audio Switcher
    Boss SD1
    Ibanez TS9
    Monte Allums modded Boss SD1
    MXR Micro Amp

Re: NEW AC30, greenbacks or blues U2 Edge Tone

put in the Celestion Gold's. Just 'louder more awesome' version of the celestion blue's.
    Lister: I am your god!
    Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

Yeh u could go for celestion blues or golds or if u need to save cash the eminence red fang is a good and cheaper alternative.
      Gondola Kid
      Bandcamp
      Facebook
      JimijaymesGuitarist
      Youtube

Comment

I'm getting good Beatles stuff from my Tophat King Royale (AC30/Top Boost) & a Greenback loaded 4x12...and a Thinline Tele.

Throw some heavy chorus on there & the Edge won't be far away

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I always prefer alnico speakers. So go with the Celestion blues or Weber Blue Dogs or Eminence Red Fangs for the classic Vox glassy clean sounds and crunch.
          - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
          - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
          - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
          - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
          - Tungsten Buckwheat
          - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
          - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
          - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

In my opinion a Vox just doesn't sound right without the Celesation Blues...they are pricy speakers but well worth it in my opinion, just remember...those are only 15 watt speakers, 2 of them is 30 watts and an AC30 CAN blow them if you plan on cranking it...just keep that in mind, I's hate to see you blow $550 worth of speakers!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Definitely the down side to the Blues

Actually, my KR sounds pretty jangly running to a 4x10 w/ceramic Celestions & alnico Jensens in a X.....a mix of ceramic & alnico might be a good option.

Say.......a Blue & a G12H30 ???

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99 View Post
                Definitely the down side to the Blues
                Actually, my KR sounds pretty jangly running to a 4x10 w/ceramic Celestions & alnico Jensens in a X.....a mix of ceramic & alnico might be a good option.
                Say.......a Blue & a G12H30 ???
                I like the tone of the Blues a lot and I have heard them mixed with other speakers...never a g12h30 but once with a Greenback...it was cool but I like 2 Blues better!
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Nah, just throwing the idea out there......the 12H30 is actually my favorite & seems to mix well with everything.

The JJ of speakers

I actually had 2 Blues in a Bluesbreaker combo & didn't care for them.....wish I kept them! It was the amp I really didn't like, not the speakers !!!

Comment

2 blues is a classic tone with which you can RARELY go wrong

they might not work if you want some headroom or loud volume, other than that they ar AMAZING.

I played my Marshall SLP100 thru a Vox 2x12 with blues and I was FLOORED by the tone. Sounded like a modern boutique amp like Matchless, Budda, or Bad Cat. I want one now!
                    1973 Les Paul Standard
                    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      In my opinion a Vox just doesn't sound right without the Celesation Blues...they are pricy speakers but well worth it in my opinion, just remember...those are only 15 watt speakers, 2 of them is 30 watts and an AC30 CAN blow them if you plan on cranking it...just keep that in mind, I's hate to see you blow $550 worth of speakers!
                      I see two reasons to think about the Red Fang in the above: the Blue's high cost and low power. The Red Fang is supposedly a great sounding speaker, similar to the Blue but cheaper and more durable.

I think a Red Fang/Wizard mix might be cool, too.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Working...
                      X