Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Headroom- the exact definition

Originally posted by baritone View Post
    Yeah, I actually have excessive headroom with my 4x10 cab, but if I get a more powerful amp in the future, I have just the cab for it.
    So when you want to get more headroom a bigger cabinet is a factor?
    It's logical... you don't need to raise your volume as high to get loud...

Comment

It's not necessarily the physical size. It depends more on the dynamics of the individual speakers. Some 12" speakers handle up to 30 watts each, while some 12" speakers handle up to 150 watts each. It also depends how the speakers are wired together. My 4x10 has 4 10" speakers which handle 75 watts each, for a total handling of 300 watts. Speakers or cabs with no headroom are at risk for being blown by the amp's power, speakers with a little headroom are expected to run at a near optimal performance with a little risk of being overworked but potentially better sound, and speakers/cabs with lots of headroom are totally safe but the full potential of the speakers may not be heard.

But for more headroom, functionally larger speaker or cabinet is appropriate, meaning it could be the same size, but it handle more.
      Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
        speakers/cabs with lots of headroom are totally safe but the full potential of the speakers may not be heard.
        And how would it effect the tone? how does a speaker which has its full porential used sound when compared with one who isn't?

Comment

I never really thought of having differing versions of "headroom" but I do it all the time.

1. The amount of space from clean to break up.

2. The amount of space from clean to saturation.

3. The amount of space from break up to saturation.

4. The amount of room until there is no more the amp can give.

In my bass playing train of thought- it's the amount of room you have between clean and the amp clipping, not the speakers- the amp.
          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
          Originally posted by Slash2987
          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
          Originally posted by PVFan
          I'm a good sex man.
          Originally posted by Grumpy
          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I think it is a subtle difference unless you are an experienced player. Speakers like the Celestion Blues are popular because they give a small amount of headroom, so their sound breaks up a little when pushed; I feel this realm of speaker breakup is a delicate one and is best explored by an experienced player. With my 300 watt cab, it may not be getting proper abuse from my 35 watt head, but it sounds out perfectly, and it still shakes the whole house when I play.

With regards to amp volume > speaker breakup vs. clean output > square wave, the terminology overlaps a little, but the concept is about the same.
            Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

When you're seated in the driver's seat, it's how much space is left between your cranium and the ceiling.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
              X