Preamp tubes ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp tubes ?????

Today I tried a JJ/Tesla ECC82 (12AU7) replacing an ECC83 (12AX7) in the second position (closest to the pwer tubes) in my fender pro junior. Is this safe I've heard alot of lowering gain but is it ok to have it after a higher gain tube ECC83 (12AX7)????'
    Good tone alot cleaner and hifi in a good way and also slightly smoother. MORE CLARITY
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Re: Preamp tubes ?????

no problem at all, many blues and harp players do that to their amps. That is the phase inverter position, and isn't considered part of the tone shaping. It drives your power tubes.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

In my HRD I use a 12AX7 (VI) 12AT7 (V2) 5751 in V3 which is the PI tube.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

no problem at all, many blues and harp players do that to their amps. That is the phase inverter position, and isn't considered part of the tone shaping. It drives your power tubes.
        The difference is no where near as extreme as changing the first tube but i noticeable difference more in feel then tone though.
        Gondola Kid
        Bandcamp
        Facebook
        JimijaymesGuitarist
        Youtube

Comment

You can pop a higher gain preamp tube in the spot where a lower one was. It wont' hurt the amp. Your findings are what we all notice. V1 makes the most change. So much so, that when I"m tweaking, I rarely mess with any other preamp tube.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
          X